sugar beet

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2007
      Has anyone had any joy growing this? I've read you can make a sugary
      paste very simply, which sounds perfect for most things. Anyone know
      where you can get seed from? I can only find wholesale, and I'd be
      fascinatied to hear about some tastier cultivars :)

      Thanks!

      Bob
      xx

      --
      Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.

      phone: 0774 3917404
      skype: daresbalat
      msn: bobulatorm@...
    • orb orb
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2007
        I've never grown it myself it grows by the ton around here and at carting time it lays in the roads when it falls off the lorries.
        I did once make wine from it I boiled int in the pressure cooker, it took and awful lot to extract a little sugar,although I did once make a stew of it when I was Short of food it was very sweet. i think you might have trouble getting the seed as even the farmers growing it don't buy the seed it's supplied by the processors and grown under contract.
        I'm growing this year a close relative called Mangle Worzel, the other thing the might be able to find is Cattle Beet.
        Aub

        Bob <anarchybob@...> wrote:
        Has anyone had any joy growing this? I've read you can make a sugary
        paste very simply, which sounds perfect for most things. Anyone know
        where you can get seed from? I can only find wholesale, and I'd be
        fascinatied to hear about some tastier cultivars :)

        Thanks!

        Bob
        xx

        --
        Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.

        phone: 0774 3917404
        skype: daresbalat
        msn: bobulatorm@...

      • Rick van Rein
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2007
          Hi Bob and others,

          > i think you might have trouble getting the seed as even the farmers growing it don't buy the seed it's supplied by the processors and grown under contract.

          It is not hard to get to seed at all:

          https://www.vreeken.nl/cgi-bin/site/web_vreeken.cgi?page=home_zaden&zoekwoord=suikerbiet&Submit=zoek

          It's Dutch but you get the idea.

          You could also consider growing Skirret, which is known to be sweet:

          https://www.vreeken.nl/cgi-bin/site/web_vreeken.cgi?page=home_zaden&categorie=&zoekwoord=skirret&Submit=zoek

          Finally, there's Stevia, with leafs that are 10x as sweet as sugar.
          This plant grows in moderate climates, but originates from the Amazon,
          where it will need less care:

          https://www.vreeken.nl/cgi-bin/site/web_vreeken.cgi?page=home_zaden&categorie=&zoekwoord=stevia&Submit=zoek

          I am trying to grow Skirret and Stevia this year, but haven't tried
          sugar beets (which is what Bob asked).

          Cheers,
          -Rick
        • Merle Clarke
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2007
            Cant resist telling you that when I was a kid, long long time ago in the war, we used to use the sugar beet that fell off the carts as footballs, on the way home from school! (We walked 3 miles and it was fun!) When they finally fell to pieces we picked them up and took them home to feed to the pigs, every little helped! My mum, who was country born and bred and could use everything that grew to supplement our rations considered that feeding sugar beet to the pigs (or other animals) was the only good use for it. She taught us to like most things without sugar and at 73 I still mostly live that way. Honestly think using beet in place of commercial sugar is a non starter, but in Australia I discovered a herb 'Stevia rebaudiana'
            (Stevia Leaf) which looks like coarse tea and gives a sweet liquid when infused in hot water.
            I've got an email address for the herb company somewhere if you would like it.
            Regards, Merle.

          • Javier Cosp
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22, 2007
              Cant resist telling you that stevia is from here (Paraguay). We call it
              Kaa hee (sweet herb in guaranĂ­, the aborigen language).

              Javier Cosp

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 16, 2007
                Hey missed this, thanks for all the replies! I guess the thing is, stevia
                sounds all very well but can you make a cake out of it or use it to make
                jams or cordials or conserves? If there's a replacement anyone knows that
                also has preserving and bulking properties, that would be good!

                Thanks for all the lovely replies though!

                David