Re: [pfaf] gotu kola propagation

  • Diane Lee Long
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
      Cultivation details Prefers a moist to wet soil in sun or partial shade. Plants also grow on walls in the wild and so should tolerate drier conditions. This species is not hardy in the colder areas of the country, it tolerates temperatures down to between -5 and -10°c. It grows and spreads very well outdoors during the summer in most parts of the country and is very easy to increase by division. It can therefore be grown as a summer crop with divisions being taken during the growing season and overwintered in a greenhouse in case the outdoor plants are killed by winter cold.
      Propagation Seed - sow spring in a greenhouse. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle and grow them on in a greenhouse for their first winter. Plant them out in late spring or early summer of the following year, after the last expected frosts. Division is simple at any time in the growing season, though the spring is probably best. We find that it is best to pot up the divisions until they are rooting away well, though in selected mild gardens it should be possible to plant the divisions out directly into their permanent positions.

      Hope this helps.

      Diane

      michael lasky <megamalito@...> wrote:
      plant lovers help!!!

      returning to my home in mountain/jungles of bolivia, and am desparately
      trying to find out how i can propagate gotu kola there. anyone out there
      can help me?

      peaceout,

      maikito lasqui

      Yahshua's Servant,

      Diane

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
        Hello Maikito,

        I glanced at the PFAF article (and also the one at "Dave's Garden dot com) for Gotu kola (Centella asiatica), apparently it is fairly easy to propagate by division; seed is also listed as a pertinent method, provided they are cleaned before storage.

        It seems that, if you can get ahold of some plants, then you've got it made; just wait until they produce new rhizomes - maybe a year? - and cut them off and replant them (known in nursery work as "lift and divide").

        C. asiatica seems to prefer moist to wet soils, and may even prefer a bog or marsh habitat.

        Hope that helped.

        Peace,

        Steve.

      • michael lasky
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
          steve,

          thank you for replying. sorry, but because i live in northern new york, i
          really don't know where to look. i may try the brooklyn botanical garden.
          again, thanks for answering.

          peaceout.

          maikito

          >From: <icculus2000@...>
          >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [pfaf] Re:gotu kola propagation
          >Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:12:02 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >Hello Maikito,
          >
          > I glanced at the PFAF article (and also the one at "Dave's Garden dot
          >com) for Gotu kola (Centella asiatica), apparently it is fairly easy to
          >propagate by division; seed is also listed as a pertinent method, provided
          >they are cleaned before storage.
          >
          > It seems that, if you can get ahold of some plants, then you've got it
          >made; just wait until they produce new rhizomes - maybe a year? - and cut
          >them off and replant them (known in nursery work as "lift and divide").
          >
          > C. asiatica seems to prefer moist to wet soils, and may even prefer a
          >bog or marsh habitat.
          >
          > Hope that helped.
          >
          > Peace,
          >
          > Steve.

          Don�t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
          Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/
        • mIEKAL aND
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
            I get my gotu kola seeds from Horizon Herbs. (they're even organic).

            http://www.horizonherbs.com

            They have a wonderful catalogue full of information & seeds.

            ~mIEKAL

          • icculus2000@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 13, 2007
              I second that.. Horizon is a great source: I've ordered internationally from them on several different occasions.

              Peace

              steve

            • michael lasky
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 13, 2007
                mIEKAL

                Thaks so much for the help. All the best.

                peace out,

                Michael Lasky

                Live Hotmail.
              • Gail Lloyd
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
                  Michael, we are praying for you today.....Get better.
                  jg

                  michael lasky <megamalito@...>

                • michael lasky
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 19, 2007
                    gail,

                    thanks! i'm recoveringcomfy at home, the thesurgery at over 10 hours was
                    longerthan exspected. i have 28 staples, a skin graft, and i feel fairly
                    normal. my prognosis isnt so rosy, however, i remain in fightingspritis
                    and will mis my bike riding and work for the tiem being. must do my
                    meditation.

                    hanksagain for yr positive thoughts,

                    maikito

                    >From: Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@...>
                    >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [pfaf] cancer tx
                    >Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 07:22:07 -0700 (PDT)
                    >
                    >Michael, we are praying for you today.....Get better.
                    > jg
                    >
                    >michael lasky <megamalito@...>

                    Share your special parenting moments!
                  • Infowolf1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 19, 2007
                      In a message dated 9/19/2007 7:42:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                      megamalito@... writes:

                      thanks! i'm recoveringcomfy at home, the thesurgery at over 10 hours was
                      longerthan exspected. i have 28 staples, a skin graft, and i feel fairly
                      normal. my prognosis isnt so rosy, however,

                      there are a lot of herbs that help cancer, if you can get loquat
                      fruit eat a kernel two or three times a day to get laetrille,
                      be careful, this is amygdalen the cyanide precursor, nature's
                      chemotherapy.

                      Be careful to check for harmful interactions first with any
                      medicine you are now taking for cancer. I understand that
                      astragalus can help with chemotherapy side effects if you
                      are on that already, or was it ashwaghanda, check the books
                      or online first.

                      i remain in fightingspritis
                      and will mis my bike riding and work for the time being.

                      Recent research showed that people who have cancer show
                      real low adrenaline. Which brings me to your statement

                      must do my
                      meditation.

                      I don't know what kind of meditation you are doing, but most
                      of them fall in the category of encouraging alpha waves
                      and relaxation not adrenaline. Some visualization of white blood
                      cells (I guess with fangs?) attacking and eating cancer cells
                      was used to strengthen a cancer meditator's system with some
                      benefit, I read this years ago.

                      Other meditations that try to engage deities or spirits or are
                      part of some energy transferring system with its roots in an
                      initiation like reiki risk attracting entities that would ride the
                      current or come separately and in either case feed, making
                      things worse. There is stuff out there that doesn't like us and
                      can make nice for a while.

                      I would suggest perhaps experimenting with little mirrors
                      surrounding and containing and turning the cancer cells
                      back on themselves, mentally wrap them in real reflective foil
                      reflective side inwards?

                      Ask Jesus to bless the effort He is very powerful. There are
                      some saints who are apparently not all that dead, a St. John
                      Maximovitch whose incorrupt remains are in San Francisco
                      has a great reputation for healing. The oil from lamps burned
                      in his honor is sought by many, but it is currently given only
                      to the Orthodox by the bishop's orders, but if you download an
                      icon of him and print it and burn a votive candle with a little
                      olive oil poured in the hollow around the wick after it has
                      burned a little, and ask for his help, the resulting oil wax, not
                      as fluid as oil and not as solid as wax, is smearable and you
                      can put this on yourself. Use a plain white unscented candle.

                      It can't hurt.

                      Mary Christine