AW: [pfaf] Gutta Percha tree

  • Heino Konrad
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2007
      Dear Rennyn!

      Eucommia is a very hardy plant, I live in Austria and it has sustained up to -25°C so it will be hardy in any part of the U.K.! I bought my seeds at richters.com, however, they have do not have them in their online store any more, as all other providers I have checked. Unfortunately, my tree is too small to flower (its now 5 years old and approx. 4m high and growing very well).

      I am not so sure if you can harvest a lot of gum from this tree, anyway its a funny item for any garden; especially fascinating is the gum in the leaves - if you tear them the parts will remain attached to each other by thin gum threads....

      Germination is good when you stratify the seeds for ca. 3 months in at ca. 5°C in the fridge (provided you have good quality seeds)!

      Hope this helped a little!

      Regards,
      Heino

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9, 2007
        plant lovers help!!!

        returning to my home in mountain/jungles of bolivia, and am desparately
        trying to find out how i can propagate gotu kola there. anyone out there
        can help me?

        peaceout,

        maikito lasqui

      • Diane Lee Long
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
          Cultivation details Prefers a moist to wet soil in sun or partial shade. Plants also grow on walls in the wild and so should tolerate drier conditions. This species is not hardy in the colder areas of the country, it tolerates temperatures down to between -5 and -10°c. It grows and spreads very well outdoors during the summer in most parts of the country and is very easy to increase by division. It can therefore be grown as a summer crop with divisions being taken during the growing season and overwintered in a greenhouse in case the outdoor plants are killed by winter cold.
          Propagation Seed - sow spring in a greenhouse. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle and grow them on in a greenhouse for their first winter. Plant them out in late spring or early summer of the following year, after the last expected frosts. Division is simple at any time in the growing season, though the spring is probably best. We find that it is best to pot up the divisions until they are rooting away well, though in selected mild gardens it should be possible to plant the divisions out directly into their permanent positions.

          Hope this helps.

          Diane

          Yahshua's Servant,

          Diane

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
            Hello Maikito,

            I glanced at the PFAF article (and also the one at "Dave's Garden dot com) for Gotu kola (Centella asiatica), apparently it is fairly easy to propagate by division; seed is also listed as a pertinent method, provided they are cleaned before storage.

            It seems that, if you can get ahold of some plants, then you've got it made; just wait until they produce new rhizomes - maybe a year? - and cut them off and replant them (known in nursery work as "lift and divide").

            C. asiatica seems to prefer moist to wet soils, and may even prefer a bog or marsh habitat.

            Hope that helped.

            Peace,

            Steve.

          • michael lasky
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
              steve,

              thank you for replying. sorry, but because i live in northern new york, i
              really don't know where to look. i may try the brooklyn botanical garden.
              again, thanks for answering.

              peaceout.

              maikito

              >From: <icculus2000@...>
              >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [pfaf] Re:gotu kola propagation
              >Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:12:02 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >Hello Maikito,
              >
              > I glanced at the PFAF article (and also the one at "Dave's Garden dot
              >com) for Gotu kola (Centella asiatica), apparently it is fairly easy to
              >propagate by division; seed is also listed as a pertinent method, provided
              >they are cleaned before storage.
              >
              > It seems that, if you can get ahold of some plants, then you've got it
              >made; just wait until they produce new rhizomes - maybe a year? - and cut
              >them off and replant them (known in nursery work as "lift and divide").
              >
              > C. asiatica seems to prefer moist to wet soils, and may even prefer a
              >bog or marsh habitat.
              >
              > Hope that helped.
              >
              > Peace,
              >
              > Steve.

              Don�t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
              Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/
            • mIEKAL aND
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
                I get my gotu kola seeds from Horizon Herbs. (they're even organic).

                http://www.horizonherbs.com

                They have a wonderful catalogue full of information & seeds.

                ~mIEKAL

              • icculus2000@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 13, 2007
                  I second that.. Horizon is a great source: I've ordered internationally from them on several different occasions.

                  Peace

                  steve

                • michael lasky
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 13, 2007
                    mIEKAL

                    Thaks so much for the help. All the best.

                    peace out,

                    Michael Lasky

                    Live Hotmail.
                  • Gail Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
                      Michael, we are praying for you today.....Get better.
                      jg

                      michael lasky <megamalito@...>

                    • michael lasky
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 19, 2007
                        gail,

                        thanks! i'm recoveringcomfy at home, the thesurgery at over 10 hours was
                        longerthan exspected. i have 28 staples, a skin graft, and i feel fairly
                        normal. my prognosis isnt so rosy, however, i remain in fightingspritis
                        and will mis my bike riding and work for the tiem being. must do my
                        meditation.

                        hanksagain for yr positive thoughts,

                        maikito

                        >From: Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@...>
                        >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [pfaf] cancer tx
                        >Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 07:22:07 -0700 (PDT)
                        >
                        >Michael, we are praying for you today.....Get better.
                        > jg
                        >
                        >michael lasky <megamalito@...>

                        Share your special parenting moments!
                      • Infowolf1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 19, 2007
                          In a message dated 9/19/2007 7:42:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                          megamalito@... writes:

                          thanks! i'm recoveringcomfy at home, the thesurgery at over 10 hours was
                          longerthan exspected. i have 28 staples, a skin graft, and i feel fairly
                          normal. my prognosis isnt so rosy, however,

                          there are a lot of herbs that help cancer, if you can get loquat
                          fruit eat a kernel two or three times a day to get laetrille,
                          be careful, this is amygdalen the cyanide precursor, nature's
                          chemotherapy.

                          Be careful to check for harmful interactions first with any
                          medicine you are now taking for cancer. I understand that
                          astragalus can help with chemotherapy side effects if you
                          are on that already, or was it ashwaghanda, check the books
                          or online first.

                          i remain in fightingspritis
                          and will mis my bike riding and work for the time being.

                          Recent research showed that people who have cancer show
                          real low adrenaline. Which brings me to your statement

                          must do my
                          meditation.

                          I don't know what kind of meditation you are doing, but most
                          of them fall in the category of encouraging alpha waves
                          and relaxation not adrenaline. Some visualization of white blood
                          cells (I guess with fangs?) attacking and eating cancer cells
                          was used to strengthen a cancer meditator's system with some
                          benefit, I read this years ago.

                          Other meditations that try to engage deities or spirits or are
                          part of some energy transferring system with its roots in an
                          initiation like reiki risk attracting entities that would ride the
                          current or come separately and in either case feed, making
                          things worse. There is stuff out there that doesn't like us and
                          can make nice for a while.

                          I would suggest perhaps experimenting with little mirrors
                          surrounding and containing and turning the cancer cells
                          back on themselves, mentally wrap them in real reflective foil
                          reflective side inwards?

                          Ask Jesus to bless the effort He is very powerful. There are
                          some saints who are apparently not all that dead, a St. John
                          Maximovitch whose incorrupt remains are in San Francisco
                          has a great reputation for healing. The oil from lamps burned
                          in his honor is sought by many, but it is currently given only
                          to the Orthodox by the bishop's orders, but if you download an
                          icon of him and print it and burn a votive candle with a little
                          olive oil poured in the hollow around the wick after it has
                          burned a little, and ask for his help, the resulting oil wax, not
                          as fluid as oil and not as solid as wax, is smearable and you
                          can put this on yourself. Use a plain white unscented candle.

                          It can't hurt.

                          Mary Christine