Gutta Percha tree

  • rennyn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2007
      I came across a reference on the pfaf database under 'Eucommia
      ulmoides - Oliv.'
      This species is identified here as being a source of gutta percha resin.
      I had thought that the Malayan 'Isonandra Gutta tree' is the main
      source of gutta percha, but it appears there may be a number of species
      which yield this substance.
      I'm looking into this at the moment as I'm keen to establish whether
      it's possible to grow a gutta percha plant outdoors in the UK
      (Cornwall).
      The pfaf reference states the Eucommia ulmoides 'is the only hardy
      rubber tree that can be grown outdoors in Britain'.
      I'd be very grateful if anyone can offer any further help or advice on
      the possiblities and possible sources.

      rennyn