Crambe cordifolia

  • Annina Salo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24 6:26 AM
      Dear Geir,

      This seakale - I think I read it somewhere that you're supposed to blanch the new stalks when they emerge in spring or force them like rhubarb and eat them like asparagus? Otherwise the leaves are too bitter. I have no experience though and can't grow it because it would grow too big.

      Ann

    • Rick van Rein
      Message 2 of 3 , May 25 1:54 AM
        Hi,

        Hold on:

        > This seakale -

        Seakale = Crambe maritima

        It looks like, but is not the same as, Crambe cordifolia.

        -Rick
      • Griselda
        Message 3 of 3 , May 25 2:22 AM
          My experience ­ from childhood, when it was ok to pluck this lovely food
          from the wild - is that you pick the shoots very young while they are tender
          and anyway, as they were wild plants you wouldn¹t be blanching them. The
          leaves rapidly become very thick and tough - rather than bitter, but the
          shoots are like purple sprouting broccoli. I have not grown it in my garden
          though.

          Griselda