Re: [pfaf] Perennial Kale and Tree Collards

  • Pat Meadows
    Message 1 of 13 , May 23, 2007
      On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:55:12 +0200, you wrote:

      >If not
      >ask again this autumn
      >there is always lots of seeds.

      OK, thanks again.

      Pat
      --
      Northern Pennsylvania

      "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism,
      since it is the merger of state and corporate power."
      - Benito Mussolini
    • sustain_ability@123mail.org
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 18, 2007
        Hello!

        Anyone using Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)?
        From this website - http://www.itnc.org/ -

        Sea Buckthorn Cultivation Project

        Ladakh is one of the highest and most remote regions on earth with
        one of the smallest population densities in India. The people are
        traditionally farmers in a region that is extremely barren, with
        extremes of heat and cold coupled with excessive dryness.

        The Tso Murari Lake, taken from the Tiger Mountain India website.
        Re-produced by kind permission. In an attempt to transform an area of
        barren wasteland to prevent erosion and sustain the environment as well
        as providing economic benefit to local people ITNC financially supported
        an experimental Sea Buckthorn project.

        Previous attempts at reforestation have in these areas have focused
        on fast growing trees such as poplar and willow. Whilst these
        re-forest large areas there are no economic gains. By contrast Sea
        Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.), a native of the mountainous
        areas of Asia that was known to eighth century Tibetan medicine,
        has several major advantages:
        Ease of cultivation and toleration of harsh climates.
        *

        It roots easily and with its ability to obtain nitrogen from the
        air it improves the soil.
        *

        Its berries are a source of vitamin C, helping to prevent scurvy.
        *

        Valuable medicinal oil is obtained from pulp and the seeds.
        *

        Its wood can be utilized for fuel, fodder and fencing.

        George
        http://transitions.stumbleupon.com

      • Annina Salo
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
          I noticed no-one replied to this one about sea buckthorn. It's widely used in Russia and also in Finland where I'm from and grows there both wild on the coast and cultivated inland. They make juice and jam out of it. It's quite tart so a lot of sugar needs to be added but personally I like the taste a lot. It has something like 4 times as much vitamin C than oranges. Ray Mears wild food programme demonstrated recently how to juice the berries directly from the bush by hand (a prickly job), and then sieve the seeds out of it. According to him, collecting the berries whole is next to impossible but this what my parents do every autumn (unless the birds or juicers get there first)! They freeze the berries and then have them with ice cream in winter...

          Annina

          pfaf@yahoogroups.com wrote: Plants For A Future Plants For A Future
          Messages In This Digest (9 Messages)
          1a.
          Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) From: sustain_ability@...
          2a.
          Re: calabaza [was Squash "cheese"] From: Cindy
          2b.
          Re: calabaza [was Squash "cheese"] From: Dan Culbertson
          3a.
          Howdy I am new From: Richard Lee Holbert
          3b.
          Re: Howdy I am new From: Robert Waldrop
          3c.
          Vanilla Bean production From: Brian Brown
          3d.
          Re: Howdy I am new From: Rick van Rein
          3e.
          Re: Howdy I am new From: Liz
          4.
          Collecting info, could you please help me.. From: Iggy
          View All Topics | Create New Topic
          Messages
          1a.
          Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) Posted by: "sustain_ability@..." sustain_ability@... mogiljan2 Sun Sep 2, 2007 12:35 pm (PST)

          From this website - http://www.itnc.org/ -

[...]

          Back to top
          Messages in this topic (11)

        • Allmende Verden
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 26, 2007
            Zitat von Annina Salo <aimsalo@...>:

            > I noticed no-one replied to this one about sea buckthorn. It's
            > widely used in Russia and also in Finland where I'm from and grows
            > there both wild on the coast and cultivated inland. They make juice
            > and jam out of it. It's quite tart so a lot of sugar needs to be
            > added but personally I like the taste a lot. It has something like
            > 4 times as much vitamin C than oranges. Ray Mears wild food
            > programme demonstrated recently how to juice the berries directly
            > from the bush by hand (a prickly job),

            Hi Annina,
            can you describe please how this is done?
            Thankyou,
            Klaus