Re: [pfaf] Re: Dioscorea batatas

  • michael lasky
    Message 1 of 14 , May 15, 2007
      please does anyone out there know anything about the propagation if
      centilla asiatica. i'm getting ready too return o my house in tropical
      Bolivia and i want to grow it there it is also known as gotu kola.

      thanks,

      megamalito.

      >From: Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...>
      >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Re: Dioscorea batatas
      >Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >I think they are very good to eat --sounds like you may find a good growing
      >place, good luck, --MichaelP
      >
      >wildwillowkins <wildwillowkins@...> wrote: If I may
      >just add to this Dioscoria thread.
      >
      >I have had some tubers for several years now, growing on my south
      >facing window sill here in Yorkshire. They have grown slowly and
      >multiplied by producing pea sized babies.
      >
      >As over the years the tubers have grown bigger I have tried them
      >outdoors and last year I had several do quite well, one developing
      >to a size that would be worth harvesting. However I have put it in
      >the cold frame which I am hoping will give a good result as it it
      >brick lined and seems to get fairly warm. I used to have a perspex
      >lid but it was too clumsy so now it is just a deep open brick lined
      >bed. My garden is SSW facing on a slope with terraces built up
      >mostly with dry limestone retaining walls.
      >
      >I have also put several in large terracotta coloured pots on the
      >concrete platform above the cold frame and some more in a black pot
      >in front of a south facing brick wall which really gets quite warm
      >in the sun.
      >
      >We have had an unusually warm spring so far here in England and I
      >have been astonished to find that I already have shoots showing in
      >one of the terracotta coloured pots and the black one by the warm
      >wall. I haven't kept any indoors this year as they seem to have
      >done well outdoors and I want to see how far I can go with them.
      >
      >It has been slow progress with them for several years but I have
      >always wondered if they would do better if the warmer trend in
      >summers continued and it seems they have. I am trying to negotiate
      >a patch in a nearby polytunnel where I would like to be able to set
      >up a permanent patch where the mature tubers could be lifted while
      >at the same time the babies were allowed to drop naturally to the
      >ground and be tilled in. The tubers seem to like to migrate deeper
      >as they get bigger and lifting them allows the smaller ones to fall
      >into the broken earth.
      >
      >Up to now I have only really treated it as an exotic but if this
      >warm trend continues I think it could really be of use.
      >
      >All the best,
      >
      >Claire

      Catch suspicious messages before you open them´┐Żwith Windows Live Hotmail.
      http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507