Re: [pfaf] Digest Number 843 (Goji)

  • Annina Salo
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2007
      I did the same thing as Claire, soaked 2 of the dried Goji berries and sowed the seed in a pot but kept them outdoors in balmy London spring weather (March/April). This was quite a while ago now and for the first 3 or 4 weeks nothing was happening, so I thought they wouldn't germinate, saw an advert for the plants by mailorder, ordered them and of course, the next day or so they germinated! The joy wasn't longlasting, since I forgot to protect them and overnight they all lost their seedling leaves to snails. Afterwards a few more seeds germinated, out of which I now have one left and protected in a coldframe, seems to be very slow-growing, still nothing but seed leaves. But the ordered plants haven't arrived yet either...

      Ann

      pfaf@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      Plants For A Future
      Messages In This Digest (1 Message)
      1a.
      Re: Goji berry plants? From: icculus2000@...
      View All Topics | Create New Topic
      Message
      1a.
      Re: Goji berry plants? Posted by: "icculus2000@..." icculus2000@... icculus2000 Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:59 am (PST) Hi Claire,

      I live in Bermuda, and germinated my Gojis in late winter on a floating screen (indoors). When they were nearly an inch and getting some green I put them in individual flats and set them outdoors. Most have done just fine, and are attaining six inches with a healthy upright aspect and uniform mid green. Granted, Bermuda winters are not the most challenging environment you could introduce your plants to, but I wanted to add a P.S. to your note on setting them out after germination.. they didn't seem to mind wind and quite heavy rain.

      Happy growing (your sugar-preserved berries should sprout seed unless they used heat to reduce the sugar to crystalline form).

      Peace,

      Steve.

      "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
      ~ Kahlil Gibran

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (9)

      Recent Activity

      5
      New Members

      Visit Your Group

      Organic gardening
      Organic
      Organic vegetable gardening
      Organic gardening supply
      Organic gardening product

      Cutest Kid
      Is your kid cute?
      Share and vote
      on Bix.com!

      Yahoo! TV
      Get American Idol
      recaps, pics and
      much more!

      Market Online
      Drive customers to
      your web site with
      Sponsored Search.

      Need to Reply?

      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2007
        Hi Ann,

        The Goji seeds were indeed slow growing at first, but it seems that they needed to get a good foothold, and I am beginning to plant them out with confidence. The roots were certainly not as prolific as some other species, which could account for the reluctant growth above ground.
        They were in about an 8oz container when I felt they were ready for planting out, though you may wish to wait until they reach a gallon..
        I left a long stake in the ground next to them for later training - hopefully, I will be able to make use of a nearby tree for vining.

        Peace,

        steve.

        Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48517/*http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7 hot CTA = Join our Network Research Panel