Re: [pfaf] Edible plants for model 20 acre organic farm in Mzuzu, Northern Malawi

  • GRACE CRABB
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2007
      Hello there
      I used to work at Sunseed Desert Technology in Spain and we tried various agricultural techniques to grow edible tree species. Originally we planted things like Acacia, in an attempt to reforest a desert area. The trees grew well but became invasive and were not a particularly useful crop. Also the fake pepper tree, pistacio and eucalyptus did well. When I arrived I decided to try and reforest only with native tree species and attempted to create a microclimate using other scrub species interplanted with the crop trees and an attempt to reduce drought problems. In this place we used carob, olives, rosemary and the other drought tolerant scrubs such as lemon verbena, cistus etc. Also pistachio would grow, with peanuts grown between. I would strongly recommend a forest garden approach.
      Hope this helps a bit. Gardening in such a place is equally down to effective water management. This is crucial and can make the difference between a drought tolerant tree surving or perishing. Mulching etc....

      michael lasky <megamalito@...> wrote:
      plant lovers,

      altho your project sounds both interesting and worthy, i am afraid i cannot
      help you. My experiences for thirty years in the andes mountains of south
      america mainly included tropical climes 500 to 2000 meters above sea level.
      although iit was dry during the dry seasons, when it rained (generally from
      december to march) it really rained! in drier areas however, such as the
      coast of peru, there wsas considerable production of carob, olies and
      dates.\

      i hope your project , excuse the pun, blooms.

      peace and good luck!

      dsmaikito