Re:Do you find these two plant profiles in the database?

  • gsterculius
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007
      My favourite source for in depth info on culinary herbs and spices is
      the wonderful Gernot Katzer, he has both

      http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/index.html

      George

      -- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, <icculus2000@...> wrote:

      > Hi Pedro
      >
      > Bom dia!
      > did I say it right?
      >
      > Anyway.. I notice you have the cardamom genus name misspelled..
      it is a double "t" not a double "l"
      > So that might help.. also, PFAF has a wonderful database (though
      I must agree - I can't find it either), but you can find cardamom on
      many sites if you do a search.

      > I found a decent general description on these two pages in the
      past 5 minutes..

      > http://www.floridata.com/ref/E/elet_car.cfm
      > http://www.webindia123.com/garden/herb_spi/cardamom.htm
      >
      > and an ayurvedic site here
      http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/aboutayurveda/cahe.htm (scroll down
      a bit) - there is a pretty detailed description of original habitat
      if you click on the line which says "Click here to view detailed
      Herbal Monograph"

      > So, I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other, but
      there is a lot of crappy information on the internet - even on sites
      which look as if they know what they're saying. You would be best
      advised to get a second or third opinion and/or to look up your
      plants in an official publication. In other words, use a source you
      trust.

      > Good luck,
      >
      > Steve.
      >
      > PS - I live in Bermuda, where we have a 12% (or more) population
      of Azorean natives and descendants (including Almeidas) - it could
      even be I have met someone you know. I'm told most of the people who
      moved here came from Sao Miguel.