Edible plants for model 20 acre organic farm in Mzuzu, Northern Malawi

  • wellsforzoe
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 23, 2007
      Hi,

      We are a small development group called Wells for Zoe
      (www.wellsforzoe.org) working in Mzuzu, Northern Malawi. We are
      interested in finding out about and sourcing seeds to grow edible
      plants on a model 20 acre organic farm on land which receives little
      water. The land is given by the chief of a village in return for the
      provision of water pumps, and dams and other irrigation schemes to the
      village. This land is then used to grow food for sale to make money to
      help fund such schemes on a micro-credit basis. The ethos is 'a hand
      up, not a hand out'. The irrigation schemes then feed water to the
      farms when there is no rainfall but water is limited

      Would anyone out there have any ideas on the most suitable plants and
      the best place to get them for delivery to Malawi for planting in
      June/July?

      Yours,

      John Coyne,
      www.wellsforzoe.org
    • BT Benjaminson
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 23, 2007
        try Dr. Elaine Solowey at www.desertagriculture.org.
        She has a seed bank of edible species that will grow with little water. she has also done much research on tree species, as the web site shows.
        Her books, Small Steps to Abundance and Supping at God's Table, may also be quite useful.

        Bat-Tzion Benjaminson
        Negev desert permaculture and medicinal herbs, Israel\\

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 23, 2007
          On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:10:01 -0000, you wrote:

          >Hi,
          >
          >We are a small development group called Wells for Zoe
          >(www.wellsforzoe.org) working in Mzuzu, Northern Malawi. We are
          >interested in finding out about and sourcing seeds to grow edible
          >plants on a model 20 acre organic farm on land which receives little
          >water. The land is given by the chief of a village in return for the
          >provision of water pumps, and dams and other irrigation schemes to the
          >village. This land is then used to grow food for sale to make money to
          >help fund such schemes on a micro-credit basis. The ethos is 'a hand
          >up, not a hand out'. The irrigation schemes then feed water to the
          >farms when there is no rainfall but water is limited
          >
          >Would anyone out there have any ideas on the most suitable plants and
          >the best place to get them for delivery to Malawi for planting in
          >June/July?

          I think e-mailing Native Seeds/SEARCH might be a good idea. They
          specialize in seeds for the American Southwest. The conditions there are
          very hot and dry (such places as New Mexico and Arizona).

          They have tepary beans, for example. These are good for hot and dry
          conditions - as a Native American plant, maybe they're not known in Africa.
          They have other somewhat unusual Native American seeds.

          http://www.nativeseeds.org/

          You could certainly ask their advice. Maybe they'd give you some seeds,
          even. See their 'About Us' page.

          Echonet is another outfit that I think you should definitely email. They
          give seeds and information to projects in the Third World.

          http://www.echonet.org/

          Last, NewCrop is a good resource for information on specific crops.

          http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/default.html

          Good luck with your project!

          Pat
          -- Northern Pennsylvania
          'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
          We should live in a way that makes a future possible.'
          - Thich Nhat Hanh
        • ariel023
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 23, 2007
            Various cactii like the Prickly pear, marula, Baobab,
            papayas, figs, pomegranate,capegooseberry, blackberries, so
            many hardy plants can be grown there in relation to the
            water sources and dams

            Various Ketembillas and hybrids may contribute and the white
            sapote

            Ariel
            Israel
          • ariel023
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 23, 2007
              Bat Zion
              Where are you from
              Ariel
              Moshav Beit Helkiya
            • michael lasky
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
                plant lovers,

                altho your project sounds both interesting and worthy, i am afraid i cannot
                help you. My experiences for thirty years in the andes mountains of south
                america mainly included tropical climes 500 to 2000 meters above sea level.
                although iit was dry during the dry seasons, when it rained (generally from
                december to march) it really rained! in drier areas however, such as the
                coast of peru, there wsas considerable production of carob, olies and
                dates.\

                i hope your project , excuse the pun, blooms.

                peace and good luck!

                dsmaikito

                >From: Pat Meadows <pat@...>
                >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Edible plants for model 20 acre organic farm in Mzuzu,
                >Northern Malawi
                >Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:14:29 -0400
                >
                >On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:10:01 -0000, you wrote:
                >
                > >Hi,
                > >
                > >We are a small development group called Wells for Zoe
                > >(www.wellsforzoe.org) working in Mzuzu, Northern Malawi. We are
                > >interested in finding out about and sourcing seeds to grow edible
                > >plants on a model 20 acre organic farm on land which receives little
                > >water. The land is given by the chief of a village in return for the
                > >provision of water pumps, and dams and other irrigation schemes to the
                > >village. This land is then used to grow food for sale to make money to
                > >help fund such schemes on a micro-credit basis. The ethos is 'a hand
                > >up, not a hand out'. The irrigation schemes then feed water to the
                > >farms when there is no rainfall but water is limited
                > >
                > >Would anyone out there have any ideas on the most suitable plants and
                > >the best place to get them for delivery to Malawi for planting in
                > >June/July?
                > >

                >I think e-mailing Native Seeds/SEARCH might be a good idea. They
                >specialize in seeds for the American Southwest. The conditions there are
                >very hot and dry (such places as New Mexico and Arizona).
                >
                >They have tepary beans, for example. These are good for hot and dry
                >conditions - as a Native American plant, maybe they're not known in Africa.
                >They have other somewhat unusual Native American seeds.
                >
                >http://www.nativeseeds.org/
                >
                >You could certainly ask their advice. Maybe they'd give you some seeds,
                >even. See their 'About Us' page.
                >
                >Echonet is another outfit that I think you should definitely email. They
                >give seeds and information to projects in the Third World.
                >
                >http://www.echonet.org/
                >
                >Last, NewCrop is a good resource for information on specific crops.
                >
                >http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/default.html
                >
                >Good luck with your project!
                >
                >Pat
                >-- Northern Pennsylvania
                >'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
                >We should live in a way that makes a future possible.'
                > - Thich Nhat Hanh

                Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.
              • GRACE CRABB
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1 9:56 AM
                  Hello there
                  I used to work at Sunseed Desert Technology in Spain and we tried various agricultural techniques to grow edible tree species. Originally we planted things like Acacia, in an attempt to reforest a desert area. The trees grew well but became invasive and were not a particularly useful crop. Also the fake pepper tree, pistacio and eucalyptus did well. When I arrived I decided to try and reforest only with native tree species and attempted to create a microclimate using other scrub species interplanted with the crop trees and an attempt to reduce drought problems. In this place we used carob, olives, rosemary and the other drought tolerant scrubs such as lemon verbena, cistus etc. Also pistachio would grow, with peanuts grown between. I would strongly recommend a forest garden approach.
                  Hope this helps a bit. Gardening in such a place is equally down to effective water management. This is crucial and can make the difference between a drought tolerant tree surving or perishing. Mulching etc....