Re: [pfaf] ISOJewelweed seeds please

  • Dan Culbertson
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
      > Trying to find something native to grow, cultivate, harvest and use for
      > the poison ivy issue here in KY. I have been researching jewelweed for
      > several years but can't seem to find it or any seeds to plant. Can
      > anyone help me find some seeds?

      I ordered some jewelweed seeds last year but I can't remember where. But I
      see them at:
      http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/jewelweed_orange_touchmenot.html
      http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/imp.cap.htm
      http://www.prairiemoon.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=539&=90b109df787bb3ef790b2f4c8a81c6cf

      I think the seeds are very perishable so they should be planted immediately.
      Mine all sprouted and made nice little plants in cell packs but they died
      out in the summer after I planted them out. I suspect the Florida summer
      heat did them in.

      Dan
    • Diana Shipton
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
        > The link states that the seeds tastes like "butternut" - (Juglans cinerea
        ?). Anyone knows if this is a recognized edible seed,

        ********** I always thought they tasted like walnuts myself.
        Diana

        Diana's in Hubbard, Ohio
        http://www.Dianascraft-antiqueshop.4t.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
          That means you have eaten them ?
          Just like they are ??
          or any receipts ?

          Geir Flatabø

          2007/4/8, Diana Shipton <dianas42@...>:

          > > The link states that the seeds tastes like "butternut" - (Juglans
          > cinerea
          > ?). Anyone knows if this is a recognized edible seed,
          >

          > ********** I always thought they tasted like walnuts myself.
          > Diana
          >

          > Diana's in Hubbard, Ohio
          > http://www.Dianascraft-antiqueshop.4t.com

        • tjlwork2004
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
            Thanks everyone for the info, very helpful!!!!--- In
            pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Culbertson" <danculb@...> wrote:

            > > Trying to find something native to grow, cultivate, harvest and >
            Dan

          • stephen barstow
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007
              I�ve eaten Impatiens glandulifera seeds a few times � a pleasant nutty
              taste. I think I read about this in Cornucopia II and that the seed is even
              harvested and used as a source of an edible oil. But, collecting the seed is
              a bit of a challenge��.

              Stephen

              Malvik, Norway

            • Diana Shipton
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007

                ********** Yes, I just cup my hand around the seedpod, catch the seeds and pop them in my mouth. I have never used them in a recipe.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 11, 2007
                  Yes that is a good question. What need be done to the seeds to make
                  them safely/tastily edible?--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Diana Shipton