Re: [pfaf] ISOJewelweed seeds please

  • Dan Culbertson
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
      > Trying to find something native to grow, cultivate, harvest and use for
      > the poison ivy issue here in KY. I have been researching jewelweed for
      > several years but can't seem to find it or any seeds to plant. Can
      > anyone help me find some seeds?

      I ordered some jewelweed seeds last year but I can't remember where. But I
      see them at:
      http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/jewelweed_orange_touchmenot.html
      http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/imp.cap.htm
      http://www.prairiemoon.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=539&=90b109df787bb3ef790b2f4c8a81c6cf

      I think the seeds are very perishable so they should be planted immediately.
      Mine all sprouted and made nice little plants in cell packs but they died
      out in the summer after I planted them out. I suspect the Florida summer
      heat did them in.

      Dan
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
        The link states that the seeds tastes like "butternut" - (Juglans cinerea
        ?).

        Anyone knows if this is a recognized edible seed,
        and whether this also applies to other Impatiens like I glandulifera, I.
        parviflora, I . noli-tangere.

        and the anti poison effect against Poison Ivy - does this also apply to
        other stinging plants like nettles ??

        Geir Flatabø

      • icculus2000@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
          Hi,

          Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) grows wild in Tennessee, probably in KY too..
          In fact, Jewelweed likes the same growing conditions as Poison Ivy, and your solution is often growing right next to your very problem. Cold water (not a full shower - just wash the affected area) and a non-solvent, non oil based soap may help.
          As far as a reliable company.. Horizon Herbs (Williams, Oregon) has it .. they're a good medicinal seed supplier, in addition to other services and information. I've used them several times.

          In response to Geir's question about the anti poison ivy/oak effect.. In my opinion, the formic acid in nettles would not be affected by Jewelweed extract - the oil in Poison Ivy (and Poison oak and sumac) is known as Urushiol.

          I just got over a pretty decent patch of it myself.

          Peace,

          Steve

          "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
          ~ Kahlil Gibran

        • Diana Shipton
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
            > The link states that the seeds tastes like "butternut" - (Juglans cinerea
            ?). Anyone knows if this is a recognized edible seed,

            ********** I always thought they tasted like walnuts myself.
            Diana

            Diana's in Hubbard, Ohio
            http://www.Dianascraft-antiqueshop.4t.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
              That means you have eaten them ?
              Just like they are ??
              or any receipts ?

              Geir Flatabø

              2007/4/8, Diana Shipton <dianas42@...>:

              > > The link states that the seeds tastes like "butternut" - (Juglans
              > cinerea
              > ?). Anyone knows if this is a recognized edible seed,
              >

              > ********** I always thought they tasted like walnuts myself.
              > Diana
              >

              > Diana's in Hubbard, Ohio
              > http://www.Dianascraft-antiqueshop.4t.com

            • tjlwork2004
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
                Thanks everyone for the info, very helpful!!!!--- In
                pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Culbertson" <danculb@...> wrote:

                > > Trying to find something native to grow, cultivate, harvest and >
                Dan

              • stephen barstow
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007
                  I�ve eaten Impatiens glandulifera seeds a few times � a pleasant nutty
                  taste. I think I read about this in Cornucopia II and that the seed is even
                  harvested and used as a source of an edible oil. But, collecting the seed is
                  a bit of a challenge��.

                  Stephen

                  Malvik, Norway

                • Diana Shipton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007

                    ********** Yes, I just cup my hand around the seedpod, catch the seeds and pop them in my mouth. I have never used them in a recipe.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 11, 2007
                      Yes that is a good question. What need be done to the seeds to make
                      them safely/tastily edible?--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Diana Shipton