ISOJewelweed seeds please

  • tjlwork2004
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
      Trying to find something native to grow, cultivate, harvest and use for
      the poison ivy issue here in KY. I have been researching jewelweed for
      several years but can't seem to find it or any seeds to plant. Can
      anyone help me find some seeds?
    • Dan Culbertson
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
        > Trying to find something native to grow, cultivate, harvest and use for
        > the poison ivy issue here in KY. I have been researching jewelweed for
        > several years but can't seem to find it or any seeds to plant. Can
        > anyone help me find some seeds?

        I ordered some jewelweed seeds last year but I can't remember where. But I
        see them at:
        http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/jewelweed_orange_touchmenot.html
        http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/imp.cap.htm
        http://www.prairiemoon.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=539&=90b109df787bb3ef790b2f4c8a81c6cf

        I think the seeds are very perishable so they should be planted immediately.
        Mine all sprouted and made nice little plants in cell packs but they died
        out in the summer after I planted them out. I suspect the Florida summer
        heat did them in.

        Dan
      • Pat Meadows
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
          On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 12:26:58 -0000, you wrote:

          >Trying to find something native to grow, cultivate, harvest and use for
          >the poison ivy issue here in KY. I have been researching jewelweed for
          >several years but can't seem to find it or any seeds to plant. Can
          >anyone help me find some seeds?

          http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/jewelweed_orange_touchmenot.html

          Google is your friend...

          Cheers,
          Pat
          --
          In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
          'Be the change that you want to see in the world.'
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
            The link states that the seeds tastes like "butternut" - (Juglans cinerea
            ?).

            Anyone knows if this is a recognized edible seed,
            and whether this also applies to other Impatiens like I glandulifera, I.
            parviflora, I . noli-tangere.

            and the anti poison effect against Poison Ivy - does this also apply to
            other stinging plants like nettles ??

            Geir Flatabø

          • icculus2000@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
              Hi,

              Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) grows wild in Tennessee, probably in KY too..
              In fact, Jewelweed likes the same growing conditions as Poison Ivy, and your solution is often growing right next to your very problem. Cold water (not a full shower - just wash the affected area) and a non-solvent, non oil based soap may help.
              As far as a reliable company.. Horizon Herbs (Williams, Oregon) has it .. they're a good medicinal seed supplier, in addition to other services and information. I've used them several times.

              In response to Geir's question about the anti poison ivy/oak effect.. In my opinion, the formic acid in nettles would not be affected by Jewelweed extract - the oil in Poison Ivy (and Poison oak and sumac) is known as Urushiol.

              I just got over a pretty decent patch of it myself.

              Peace,

              Steve

              "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
              ~ Kahlil Gibran

            • Diana Shipton
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
                > The link states that the seeds tastes like "butternut" - (Juglans cinerea
                ?). Anyone knows if this is a recognized edible seed,

                ********** I always thought they tasted like walnuts myself.
                Diana

                Diana's in Hubbard, Ohio
                http://www.Dianascraft-antiqueshop.4t.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
                  That means you have eaten them ?
                  Just like they are ??
                  or any receipts ?

                  Geir Flatabø

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
                    Thanks everyone for the info, very helpful!!!!--- In
                    pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Culbertson" <danculb@...> wrote:

                    > > Trying to find something native to grow, cultivate, harvest and >
                    Dan

                  • stephen barstow
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007
                      I�ve eaten Impatiens glandulifera seeds a few times � a pleasant nutty
                      taste. I think I read about this in Cornucopia II and that the seed is even
                      harvested and used as a source of an edible oil. But, collecting the seed is
                      a bit of a challenge��.

                      Stephen

                      Malvik, Norway

                    • Diana Shipton
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007

                        ********** Yes, I just cup my hand around the seedpod, catch the seeds and pop them in my mouth. I have never used them in a recipe.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 11, 2007
                          Yes that is a good question. What need be done to the seeds to make
                          them safely/tastily edible?--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Diana Shipton