Re: [pfaf] Dioscorea batatas

  • Klemen
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
      Hm, interesting..
      I have read (PFAF) that after a first year they achieve half a kilo (which
      is more than one pound) and at the end of a second year they can weight 2kgs
      or more. The soil should be deep and probably well drained??

      Regards,
      Klemen

      On 04 Apr 2007 17:24:46 -0700, Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...>
      wrote:

      > They are good to eat, more tender than the other Dioscorea varieties,
      > but very good, they do get big but it takes a few years to get over a pound.
      > I have grown them in plastic pots with holes in the sides, it kept the root
      > from growing so deep, --Michael porter

    • Michael Porter
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
        I have not had the Dioscorea Batatas get that big that fast , I have had [from a tubercle] 1/4 pound the first year, 3/4 pound the second year, and 3 pounds the third year, but that is the very best i have done myself, --I have had other Dioscorea varieties get over 3 pounds the first year [up to 5 pounds] and up to 27 pounds the second year. Im am sure that someone with a year-round growing climate could do better, --michael Porter

        Klemen <dva_wolk@...> wrote: Hm, interesting..

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
          And where are you from? What are your average temperatures,rainfall,
          cloudiness? how long lasts growing season?

          Klemen

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
            I live in N.Florida, USA, --The D. batatas is growing now, [just started coming up] it will grow until July and then make Tubercles and then the vine will die back, [I think it may be too hot] [but maybe that is just its cycle] we get in the summer over an inch /week of rain fall, usually, it is in the 90 deg f temp range for high day time temp from April to November, except that July and August are in the 100s for high day time temps, Nighttime temps are in the 80s and 90s usually, It is cloudy in the afternoon about 40% of the time for a few hours in the summer, then it rains and gets real hot and humid again. --
            The D.batatas , and D.japonicas, are the first to grow in the spring of all my Dioscorea variety plants, then the D.alata's and then Guinea and cayen- and Triffida. --all of the latter get much bigger sooner than the first two mentioned, --Michael Porter

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
              Hm...
              It will be something slower here in Slovenia at the begining of the year,
              and throughout the summer it is a less humid air and the temperature is
              slightly lower with an exeption of extremes... Anyway, those other varieties
              that you mentioned...You say that they gain more weight untill the end of
              the year? Do they also have edible underground parts? Do you use them for
              their edibility? How are they?

              Regards,
              Klemen

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
                The other varieties I grow are all edible, --the most prolific ones are D. alata and the Guinea white yam [D. rotunda] the others I grow have not had enough time here to get established, to make tubercles. They are both very good eating quality. -- some claim that the tubercles of D. batatas are edible raw, --I have not read or heard of any such claims for the other Dioscorea species. [I have not eaten any of them without cooking] I feel that the eating quality of the D. alata, and D.rotunda, that I grow is far superior to D. batatas. [but that is just my opinion] they all are very good. - the roots and tubercles of the D. alata and D.rotunda are much larger than the D. batatas, Some roots reaching 7 pounds in the first year in my garden, and some reaching 27 pounds the second year. They are able to digest some more raw forms of compost than most plants, I have had good results growing them in sand with 16 inches of Horse manure and pine shavings mix
                [un-composted] just dumped on the ground over them, and just keeping this damp.[ I get this used horse bedding from local Horse farms.] All 3 varieties are growing now . but the D.batatas will be all done before July is over, but the other two will continue to grow until frost. Michael Porter

                Klemen <dva_wolk@...> wrote: Hm...

                wrote:

                > I live in N.Florida, USA, --The D. batatas is growing now, [just started
                > coming up] it will grow until July and then make Tubercles and then the vine
                > will die back, [I think it may be too hot] [but maybe that is just its
                > cycle] we get in the summer over an inch /week of rain fall, usually, it is
                > in the 90 deg f temp range for high day time temp from April to November,
                > except that July and August are in the 100s for high day time temps,
                > Nighttime temps are in the 80s and 90s usually, It is cloudy in the
                > afternoon about 40% of the time for a few hours in the summer, then it rains
                > and gets real hot and humid again. --
                > The D.batatas , and D.japonicas, are the first to grow in the spring of
                > all my Dioscorea variety plants, then the D.alata's and then Guinea and
                > cayen- and Triffida. --all of the latter get much bigger sooner than the
                > first two mentioned, --Michael Porter
                >
                > Klemen <dva_wolk@... <dva_wolk%40email.si>> wrote:
                > And where are you from? What are your average temperatures,rainfall,
                > cloudiness? how long lasts growing season?
                >
                > Klemen
                >
                > On 06 Apr 2007 17:28:36 -0700, Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...<michaels4gardens%40yahoo.com>
                > >
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I have not had the Dioscorea Batatas get that big that fast , I have had
                > > [from a tubercle] 1/4 pound the first year, 3/4 pound the second year,
                > and 3
                > > pounds the third year, but that is the very best i have done myself, --I
                > > have had other Dioscorea varieties get over 3 pounds the first year [up
                > to 5
                > > pounds] and up to 27 pounds the second year. Im am sure that someone
                > with a
                > > year-round growing climate could do better, --michael Porter
                > >
                > > Klemen <dva_wolk@... <dva_wolk%40email.si> <dva_wolk%40email.si>>
                > wrote: Hm, interesting..
                > >
                > > I have read (PFAF) that after a first year they achieve half a kilo
                > (which
                > > is more than one pound) and at the end of a second year they can weight
                > > 2kgs
                > > or more. The soil should be deep and probably well drained??
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Klemen
                > >
                > > On 04 Apr 2007 17:24:46 -0700, Michael Porter <
                > michaels4gardens@... <michaels4gardens%40yahoo.com>
                > <michaels4gardens%40yahoo.com>
                > > >
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > They are good to eat, more tender than the other Dioscorea varieties,
                > > > but very good, they do get big but it takes a few years to get over a
                > > pound.
                > > > I have grown them in plastic pots with holes in the sides, it kept the
                > > root
                > > > from growing so deep, --Michael porter

              • wildwillowkins
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2007
                  If I may just add to this Dioscoria thread.

                  I have had some tubers for several years now, growing on my south
                  facing window sill here in Yorkshire. They have grown slowly and
                  multiplied by producing pea sized babies.

                  As over the years the tubers have grown bigger I have tried them
                  outdoors and last year I had several do quite well, one developing
                  to a size that would be worth harvesting. However I have put it in
                  the cold frame which I am hoping will give a good result as it it
                  brick lined and seems to get fairly warm. I used to have a perspex
                  lid but it was too clumsy so now it is just a deep open brick lined
                  bed. My garden is SSW facing on a slope with terraces built up
                  mostly with dry limestone retaining walls.

                  I have also put several in large terracotta coloured pots on the
                  concrete platform above the cold frame and some more in a black pot
                  in front of a south facing brick wall which really gets quite warm
                  in the sun.

                  We have had an unusually warm spring so far here in England and I
                  have been astonished to find that I already have shoots showing in
                  one of the terracotta coloured pots and the black one by the warm
                  wall. I haven't kept any indoors this year as they seem to have
                  done well outdoors and I want to see how far I can go with them.

                  It has been slow progress with them for several years but I have
                  always wondered if they would do better if the warmer trend in
                  summers continued and it seems they have. I am trying to negotiate
                  a patch in a nearby polytunnel where I would like to be able to set
                  up a permanent patch where the mature tubers could be lifted while
                  at the same time the babies were allowed to drop naturally to the
                  ground and be tilled in. The tubers seem to like to migrate deeper
                  as they get bigger and lifting them allows the smaller ones to fall
                  into the broken earth.

                  Up to now I have only really treated it as an exotic but if this
                  warm trend continues I think it could really be of use.

                  All the best,

                  Claire
                • Michael Porter

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 15, 2007
                      please does anyone out there know anything about the propagation if
                      centilla asiatica. i'm getting ready too return o my house in tropical
                      Bolivia and i want to grow it there it is also known as gotu kola.

                      thanks,

                      megamalito.

                      >From: Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...>
                      >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Re: Dioscorea batatas
                      >Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
                      >
                      >I think they are very good to eat --sounds like you may find a good growing
                      >place, good luck, --MichaelP
                      >
                      >wildwillowkins <wildwillowkins@...> wrote: If I may
                      >just add to this Dioscoria thread.
                      >
                      >I have had some tubers for several years now, growing on my south
                      >facing window sill here in Yorkshire. They have grown slowly and
                      >multiplied by producing pea sized babies.
                      >
                      >As over the years the tubers have grown bigger I have tried them
                      >outdoors and last year I had several do quite well, one developing
                      >to a size that would be worth harvesting. However I have put it in
                      >the cold frame which I am hoping will give a good result as it it
                      >brick lined and seems to get fairly warm. I used to have a perspex
                      >lid but it was too clumsy so now it is just a deep open brick lined
                      >bed. My garden is SSW facing on a slope with terraces built up
                      >mostly with dry limestone retaining walls.
                      >
                      >I have also put several in large terracotta coloured pots on the
                      >concrete platform above the cold frame and some more in a black pot
                      >in front of a south facing brick wall which really gets quite warm
                      >in the sun.
                      >
                      >We have had an unusually warm spring so far here in England and I
                      >have been astonished to find that I already have shoots showing in
                      >one of the terracotta coloured pots and the black one by the warm
                      >wall. I haven't kept any indoors this year as they seem to have
                      >done well outdoors and I want to see how far I can go with them.
                      >
                      >It has been slow progress with them for several years but I have
                      >always wondered if they would do better if the warmer trend in
                      >summers continued and it seems they have. I am trying to negotiate
                      >a patch in a nearby polytunnel where I would like to be able to set
                      >up a permanent patch where the mature tubers could be lifted while
                      >at the same time the babies were allowed to drop naturally to the
                      >ground and be tilled in. The tubers seem to like to migrate deeper
                      >as they get bigger and lifting them allows the smaller ones to fall
                      >into the broken earth.
                      >
                      >Up to now I have only really treated it as an exotic but if this
                      >warm trend continues I think it could really be of use.
                      >
                      >All the best,
                      >
                      >Claire

                      Catch suspicious messages before you open them´┐Żwith Windows Live Hotmail.
                      http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507