Re: [pfaf] Dioscorea batatas

  • Michael Porter
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
      They are good to eat, more tender than the other Dioscorea varieties, but very good, they do get big but it takes a few years to get over a pound. I have grown them in plastic pots with holes in the sides, it kept the root from growing so deep, --Michael porter

      Klemen <dva_wolk@...> wrote: Hm, hope they wil sprout...
      In this time i have them in pots, so i will move them into the house...
      Michael, thank you for offer, but i hope i won't need it.

      Does anyone grows this plant for food? How is it with the tubers? I have
      read that they are quite large...
      Any suggestions or experiences with these?
      I have heard that they grow vertically into the ground (roots), so it is
      hard to get them out...
      Is there any possibility that at the beginning of the growth you put the
      root into horizontal position so that it would start ot grow horizontally?
      It works with Armoracia sp.

      Regards,
      Klemen

      > On 03 Apr 2007 14:38:29 -0700, Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Be patient with them they are slow to sprout when chilled, I have
      > > noticed that mine do not sprout until the night time temp are over 50 deg ,
      > > for a month.--[they like sandy soil more than heavy clay] If you should have
      > > no success I will send you some already growing if you wish, --Michael
      > > Porter
      > >
      > > Geir Flatabø <geirf@... <geirf%40ulvik.org>> wrote: My Dioscoreas
      > > need long temperatures of above 20 C for about 1-2 months
      > > before they sprouts...
      > >
      > > Geir Flatabø
      > >
      > > 2007/4/3, Klemen <dva_wolk@... <dva_wolk%40email.si>>:
      > > >
      > > > Hello!
      > > >
      > > > I have some problem with dioscorea batatas. I got 15 pseudotubers, put
      > > > them
      > > > in the damp soil and that was well over a month ago. Still there is
      > > none
      > > > sprouted of all the fifteen plants. Does anyone has any clue about how
      > > > should i do it or what did i do wrong?
      > > > I had these in my balcony and the temperature lower temeprature was
      > > about
      > > > 2-5 °C with an exception of -3°C one day. The daily temepratures were
      > > up
      > > > 18°C as this is very sunny, southern exposure.
      > > >
      > > > I am from Slovenia (southern alps). Anyone has some suggestions?
      > > >
      > > > Thank you and best regards,
      > > > Klemen

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Klemen
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
        Hm, interesting..
        I have read (PFAF) that after a first year they achieve half a kilo (which
        is more than one pound) and at the end of a second year they can weight 2kgs
        or more. The soil should be deep and probably well drained??

        Regards,
        Klemen

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
          I have not had the Dioscorea Batatas get that big that fast , I have had [from a tubercle] 1/4 pound the first year, 3/4 pound the second year, and 3 pounds the third year, but that is the very best i have done myself, --I have had other Dioscorea varieties get over 3 pounds the first year [up to 5 pounds] and up to 27 pounds the second year. Im am sure that someone with a year-round growing climate could do better, --michael Porter

          Klemen <dva_wolk@...> wrote: Hm, interesting..

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
            And where are you from? What are your average temperatures,rainfall,
            cloudiness? how long lasts growing season?

            Klemen

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
              I live in N.Florida, USA, --The D. batatas is growing now, [just started coming up] it will grow until July and then make Tubercles and then the vine will die back, [I think it may be too hot] [but maybe that is just its cycle] we get in the summer over an inch /week of rain fall, usually, it is in the 90 deg f temp range for high day time temp from April to November, except that July and August are in the 100s for high day time temps, Nighttime temps are in the 80s and 90s usually, It is cloudy in the afternoon about 40% of the time for a few hours in the summer, then it rains and gets real hot and humid again. --
              The D.batatas , and D.japonicas, are the first to grow in the spring of all my Dioscorea variety plants, then the D.alata's and then Guinea and cayen- and Triffida. --all of the latter get much bigger sooner than the first two mentioned, --Michael Porter

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
                Hm...
                It will be something slower here in Slovenia at the begining of the year,
                and throughout the summer it is a less humid air and the temperature is
                slightly lower with an exeption of extremes... Anyway, those other varieties
                that you mentioned...You say that they gain more weight untill the end of
                the year? Do they also have edible underground parts? Do you use them for
                their edibility? How are they?

                Regards,
                Klemen

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
                  The other varieties I grow are all edible, --the most prolific ones are D. alata and the Guinea white yam [D. rotunda] the others I grow have not had enough time here to get established, to make tubercles. They are both very good eating quality. -- some claim that the tubercles of D. batatas are edible raw, --I have not read or heard of any such claims for the other Dioscorea species. [I have not eaten any of them without cooking] I feel that the eating quality of the D. alata, and D.rotunda, that I grow is far superior to D. batatas. [but that is just my opinion] they all are very good. - the roots and tubercles of the D. alata and D.rotunda are much larger than the D. batatas, Some roots reaching 7 pounds in the first year in my garden, and some reaching 27 pounds the second year. They are able to digest some more raw forms of compost than most plants, I have had good results growing them in sand with 16 inches of Horse manure and pine shavings mix
                  [un-composted] just dumped on the ground over them, and just keeping this damp.[ I get this used horse bedding from local Horse farms.] All 3 varieties are growing now . but the D.batatas will be all done before July is over, but the other two will continue to grow until frost. Michael Porter

                  Klemen <dva_wolk@...> wrote: Hm...

                  wrote:

                  > I live in N.Florida, USA, --The D. batatas is growing now, [just started
                  > coming up] it will grow until July and then make Tubercles and then the vine
                  > will die back, [I think it may be too hot] [but maybe that is just its
                  > cycle] we get in the summer over an inch /week of rain fall, usually, it is
                  > in the 90 deg f temp range for high day time temp from April to November,
                  > except that July and August are in the 100s for high day time temps,
                  > Nighttime temps are in the 80s and 90s usually, It is cloudy in the
                  > afternoon about 40% of the time for a few hours in the summer, then it rains
                  > and gets real hot and humid again. --
                  > The D.batatas , and D.japonicas, are the first to grow in the spring of
                  > all my Dioscorea variety plants, then the D.alata's and then Guinea and
                  > cayen- and Triffida. --all of the latter get much bigger sooner than the
                  > first two mentioned, --Michael Porter
                  >
                  > Klemen <dva_wolk@... <dva_wolk%40email.si>> wrote:
                  > And where are you from? What are your average temperatures,rainfall,
                  > cloudiness? how long lasts growing season?
                  >
                  > Klemen
                  >
                  > On 06 Apr 2007 17:28:36 -0700, Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...<michaels4gardens%40yahoo.com>
                  > >
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have not had the Dioscorea Batatas get that big that fast , I have had
                  > > [from a tubercle] 1/4 pound the first year, 3/4 pound the second year,
                  > and 3
                  > > pounds the third year, but that is the very best i have done myself, --I
                  > > have had other Dioscorea varieties get over 3 pounds the first year [up
                  > to 5
                  > > pounds] and up to 27 pounds the second year. Im am sure that someone
                  > with a
                  > > year-round growing climate could do better, --michael Porter
                  > >
                  > > Klemen <dva_wolk@... <dva_wolk%40email.si> <dva_wolk%40email.si>>
                  > wrote: Hm, interesting..
                  > >
                  > > I have read (PFAF) that after a first year they achieve half a kilo
                  > (which
                  > > is more than one pound) and at the end of a second year they can weight
                  > > 2kgs
                  > > or more. The soil should be deep and probably well drained??
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Klemen
                  > >
                  > > On 04 Apr 2007 17:24:46 -0700, Michael Porter <
                  > michaels4gardens@... <michaels4gardens%40yahoo.com>
                  > <michaels4gardens%40yahoo.com>
                  > > >
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > They are good to eat, more tender than the other Dioscorea varieties,
                  > > > but very good, they do get big but it takes a few years to get over a
                  > > pound.
                  > > > I have grown them in plastic pots with holes in the sides, it kept the
                  > > root
                  > > > from growing so deep, --Michael porter

                • wildwillowkins
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4, 2007
                    If I may just add to this Dioscoria thread.

                    I have had some tubers for several years now, growing on my south
                    facing window sill here in Yorkshire. They have grown slowly and
                    multiplied by producing pea sized babies.

                    As over the years the tubers have grown bigger I have tried them
                    outdoors and last year I had several do quite well, one developing
                    to a size that would be worth harvesting. However I have put it in
                    the cold frame which I am hoping will give a good result as it it
                    brick lined and seems to get fairly warm. I used to have a perspex
                    lid but it was too clumsy so now it is just a deep open brick lined
                    bed. My garden is SSW facing on a slope with terraces built up
                    mostly with dry limestone retaining walls.

                    I have also put several in large terracotta coloured pots on the
                    concrete platform above the cold frame and some more in a black pot
                    in front of a south facing brick wall which really gets quite warm
                    in the sun.

                    We have had an unusually warm spring so far here in England and I
                    have been astonished to find that I already have shoots showing in
                    one of the terracotta coloured pots and the black one by the warm
                    wall. I haven't kept any indoors this year as they seem to have
                    done well outdoors and I want to see how far I can go with them.

                    It has been slow progress with them for several years but I have
                    always wondered if they would do better if the warmer trend in
                    summers continued and it seems they have. I am trying to negotiate
                    a patch in a nearby polytunnel where I would like to be able to set
                    up a permanent patch where the mature tubers could be lifted while
                    at the same time the babies were allowed to drop naturally to the
                    ground and be tilled in. The tubers seem to like to migrate deeper
                    as they get bigger and lifting them allows the smaller ones to fall
                    into the broken earth.

                    Up to now I have only really treated it as an exotic but if this
                    warm trend continues I think it could really be of use.

                    All the best,

                    Claire
                  • Michael Porter

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 15, 2007
                        please does anyone out there know anything about the propagation if
                        centilla asiatica. i'm getting ready too return o my house in tropical
                        Bolivia and i want to grow it there it is also known as gotu kola.

                        thanks,

                        megamalito.

                        >From: Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...>
                        >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Re: Dioscorea batatas
                        >Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
                        >
                        >I think they are very good to eat --sounds like you may find a good growing
                        >place, good luck, --MichaelP
                        >
                        >wildwillowkins <wildwillowkins@...> wrote: If I may
                        >just add to this Dioscoria thread.
                        >
                        >I have had some tubers for several years now, growing on my south
                        >facing window sill here in Yorkshire. They have grown slowly and
                        >multiplied by producing pea sized babies.
                        >
                        >As over the years the tubers have grown bigger I have tried them
                        >outdoors and last year I had several do quite well, one developing
                        >to a size that would be worth harvesting. However I have put it in
                        >the cold frame which I am hoping will give a good result as it it
                        >brick lined and seems to get fairly warm. I used to have a perspex
                        >lid but it was too clumsy so now it is just a deep open brick lined
                        >bed. My garden is SSW facing on a slope with terraces built up
                        >mostly with dry limestone retaining walls.
                        >
                        >I have also put several in large terracotta coloured pots on the
                        >concrete platform above the cold frame and some more in a black pot
                        >in front of a south facing brick wall which really gets quite warm
                        >in the sun.
                        >
                        >We have had an unusually warm spring so far here in England and I
                        >have been astonished to find that I already have shoots showing in
                        >one of the terracotta coloured pots and the black one by the warm
                        >wall. I haven't kept any indoors this year as they seem to have
                        >done well outdoors and I want to see how far I can go with them.
                        >
                        >It has been slow progress with them for several years but I have
                        >always wondered if they would do better if the warmer trend in
                        >summers continued and it seems they have. I am trying to negotiate
                        >a patch in a nearby polytunnel where I would like to be able to set
                        >up a permanent patch where the mature tubers could be lifted while
                        >at the same time the babies were allowed to drop naturally to the
                        >ground and be tilled in. The tubers seem to like to migrate deeper
                        >as they get bigger and lifting them allows the smaller ones to fall
                        >into the broken earth.
                        >
                        >Up to now I have only really treated it as an exotic but if this
                        >warm trend continues I think it could really be of use.
                        >
                        >All the best,
                        >
                        >Claire

                        Catch suspicious messages before you open them�with Windows Live Hotmail.
                        http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507