Vegan Marshmallow recipe

  • Gail Lloyd
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2007
      Someone requested a vegan marshmallow recipe a while back & I just found it.
      Gail

      MARSHMALLOW RECIPE
      2 tablespoons of gelatin
      1/4 cup of water
      2 cups of white sugar
      1 cup of water
      1 teaspoon of vanilla
      3/4 cup of mixed cornstarch and powdered sugar (1/4 cup of cornstarch, 1/2 cup of powdered sugar)

      Soak the gelatin in 1/4 of a cup of cold water in a small bowl and set aside to swell for 10 minutes.

      In a large saucepan pour the sugar and second measure of water. Gently dissolve the sugar over a low heat stirring constantly.

      Add the swollen gelatin and dissolve.

      Raise the temperature and bring to the boil. Boil steadily but not vigorously for 15 minutes without stirring.

      Remove from the heat and allow to cool until luke warm.

      Add the vanilla extract and whisk the mixture with an electric mixer or beater until very thick and white.

      Rinse an 8 inch sponge roll tin or fudge dish under water and pour the marshmallow mixture into the wet tin.

      Refrigerate until set.

      Cut into squares and roll in mixed cornstarch and icing sugar.

      Variations: To color the marshmallows add a couple of drops of food coloring. To make other flavored marshmallows use 1 teaspoon of peppermint, coffee, almond or other essence in place of the vanilla. Roll the marshmallows in desiccated or toasted coconut in place of the cornstarch and icing sugar.

      Email your recipe requests, food info or history questions to me at james@....

      Courtesy of FoodReference.com.

    • susan turner
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2007
        But gelatin is made from fish bones and horses hooves, that is why I don't eat it and I am vegan. Susan

[...]

        Email your recipe requests, food info or history questions to me at james@foodreference .com.

        Courtesy of FoodReference. com.

      • Pat Meadows
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 13, 2007
          On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:10:34 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

          >But gelatin is made from fish bones and horses hooves, that is why I don't eat it and I am vegan. Susan

          Maybe (probably) agar could be substituted. It's made from sea-weed.

          Pat
          --
          In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
          'Be the change that you want to see in the world.'
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2007
            All the recipes I have contain gelatine too. The following contains
            a bit of egg white which can probably be omitted as, further down in
            the recipe it says that the reduced cooking water can be used to make
            meringues...

            Rose-Marie

            Marshmallow Sweets
            4 tablespoons chopped marshmallow roots
            28 tablespoons castor sugar
            20 tablespoons gum tragacanth or gum arabic
            water or orange blossom water or rosewater
            2 cups water
            1-2 egg whites, well-beaten

            Simmer marshmallow roots in about 600ml water for 20-30
            minutes, adding extra water if necessary. Strain,
            reserving the liquid. Heat the gum and reserved liquid in the
            top of a double saucepan until they are dissolved.
            Strain with pressure. Stir in the sugar as quickly ass
            possible, continue stirring until sugar is dissolved. Continue
            stirring while adding the egg-whites, remove from heat and
            continue stirring for a few minutes. Transfer mixture
            to a slab tin which has been dusted with icing sugar. Cool,
            then cut into smaller pieces. Coat with more icing sugar
            if desired. Add a drop or two of food colouring if desired.

            The water left over from cooking any part of the plant can be
            used as an egg-white substitute in making meringues
            etc. The water from the root is the most effective - it is
            concentrated by boiling until it has a similar consistency to
            egg white

            .>On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:10:34 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

            >>But gelatin is made from fish bones and horses hooves, that is why
            >>I don't eat it and I am vegan. Susan
            >>
            >Maybe (probably) agar could be substituted. It's made from sea-weed.
            >
            >Pat
            >--
            >In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
            >'Be the change that you want to see in the world.'
            >Mohandas Gandhi

          • susan turner
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 14, 2007
              When a recipe calls for egg white, I use egg replacer from the heatlh food store. It has the same consistency but is made from potato flour and starch You jsut add two tablespoons of water to one tablespoonof it and it equals one egg. Susan.

              All the recipes I have contain gelatine too. The following contains
              a bit of egg white which can probably be omitted as, further down in
              the recipe it says that the reduced cooking water can be used to make
              meringues...

              Rose-Marie

              Marshmallow Sweets
              4 tablespoons chopped marshmallow roots
              28 tablespoons castor sugar
              20 tablespoons gum tragacanth or gum arabic
              water or orange blossom water or rosewater
              2 cups water
              1-2 egg whites, well-beaten

              Simmer marshmallow roots in about 600ml water for 20-30
              minutes, adding extra water if necessary. Strain,
              reserving the liquid. Heat the gum and reserved liquid in the
              top of a double saucepan until they are dissolved.
              Strain with pressure. Stir in the sugar as quickly ass
              possible, continue stirring until sugar is dissolved. Continue
              stirring while adding the egg-whites, remove from heat and
              continue stirring for a few minutes. Transfer mixture
              to a slab tin which has been dusted with icing sugar. Cool,
              then cut into smaller pieces. Coat with more icing sugar
              if desired. Add a drop or two of food colouring if desired.

              The water left over from cooking any part of the plant can be
              used as an egg-white substitute in making meringues
              etc. The water from the root is the most effective - it is
              concentrated by boiling until it has a similar consistency to
              egg white

              .>On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:10:34 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

              >>But gelatin is made from fish bones and horses hooves, that is why
              >>I don't eat it and I am vegan. Susan
              >>
              >Maybe (probably) agar could be substituted. It's made from sea-weed.
              >
              >Pat
              >--
              >In Pennsylvania' s Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
              >'Be the change that you want to see in the world.'
              >Mohandas Gandhi

            • ingrid glass
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 14, 2007
                Thanks for these follow-ups, this is exactly what I've been searching for
                over the years : a vegan recipe (with instructions) using actual marshmallow
                root & NO animal products. Perfect!!

                Ingrid

                All the recipes I have contain gelatine too. The following contains
                a bit of egg white which can probably be omitted as, further down in
                the recipe it says that the reduced cooking water can be used to make
                meringues...

                Rose-Marie

                Marshmallow Sweets
                4 tablespoons chopped marshmallow roots
                28 tablespoons castor sugar
                20 tablespoons gum tragacanth or gum arabic
                water or orange blossom water or rosewater
                2 cups water
                1-2 egg whites, well-beaten

                Simmer marshmallow roots in about 600ml water for 20-30
                minutes, adding extra water if necessary. Strain,
                reserving the liquid. Heat the gum and reserved liquid in the
                top of a double saucepan until they are dissolved.
                Strain with pressure. Stir in the sugar as quickly ass
                possible, continue stirring until sugar is dissolved. Continue
                stirring while adding the egg-whites, remove from heat and
                continue stirring for a few minutes. Transfer mixture
                to a slab tin which has been dusted with icing sugar. Cool,
                then cut into smaller pieces. Coat with more icing sugar
                if desired. Add a drop or two of food colouring if desired.

                The water left over from cooking any part of the plant can be
                used as an egg-white substitute in making meringues
                etc. The water from the root is the most effective - it is
                concentrated by boiling until it has a similar consistency to
                egg white

                .>On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:10:34 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                >>But gelatin is made from fish bones and horses hooves, that is why I don't
                >>eat it and I am vegan. Susan
                >>
                >Maybe (probably) agar could be substituted. It's made from sea-weed.
                >
                >Pat
                >--
                >In Pennsylvania' s Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
                >'Be the change that you want to see in the world.'
                >Mohandas Gandhi

                https://livemessenger.mobile.uk.msn.com/
              • Rick van Rein
                Message 7 of 7 , May 26, 2007
                  Hi all,

                  Back in March there was a discussion on this group about marsh mallows. I just
                  stumbled accross the origin of the name of that sweet, which is a plant by that
                  name:

                  http://pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Althaea+officinalis

                  Under the "Cultivation details" I noticed:

                  Its roots were at one time the source of the sweet 'marsh mallow', but this
                  sweet is now made without using the plant[4].

                  Under "Edible uses":

                  The water left over from cooking any part of the plant can be used as an
                  egg-white substitute in making meringues etc[62]. The water from the root is the
                  most effective[183], it is concentrated by boiling until it has a similar
                  consistency to egg white.

                  Finally, the bibliographic references:

                  [4] Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin 1984 ISBN 0-14-046-440-9

                  [62] Elias. T. and Dykeman. P. A Field Guide to N. American Edible Wild
                  Plants. Van Nostrand Reinhold 1982 ISBN 0442222009

                  [183] Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong
                  Publications 1990 ISBN 0-9628087-0-9

                  Hope this helps,

                  Rick van Rein.