Do you find these two plant profiles in the database?

  • Pedro Almeida
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2007
      Hello to you all, i am a newcomer, happy to join I am. Just have been
      intensely browsing pfaf these last days, and would like to get help
      from you. I cannot find on database the file for Elletaria Cardamomum
      (Cardamome) and for Cymbopogon spp. (Tropical Lemongrasses). For the
      latter i only found a brief note on the profile of Aloysia triphylla.

      As these 2 plants have edible uses, please could you be so kind as to
      doublecheck if i am just wrong or if the profiles for these plants are
      really missing from the database?

      All the best from Azorean Islands, http://www.visitazores.org/

      Pedro :P
    • icculus2000@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2007
        Hi Pedro

        Bom dia!
        did I say it right?

        Anyway.. I notice you have the cardamom genus name misspelled.. it is a double "t" not a double "l"
        So that might help.. also, PFAF has a wonderful database (though I must agree - I can't find it either), but you can find cardamom on many sites if you do a search.

        I found a decent general description on these two pages in the past 5 minutes..

        http://www.floridata.com/ref/E/elet_car.cfm
        http://www.webindia123.com/garden/herb_spi/cardamom.htm

        and an ayurvedic site here http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/aboutayurveda/cahe.htm (scroll down a bit) - there is a pretty detailed description of original habitat if you click on the line which says "Click here to view detailed Herbal Monograph"

        So, I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other, but there is a lot of crappy information on the internet - even on sites which look as if they know what they're saying. You would be best advised to get a second or third opinion and/or to look up your plants in an official publication. In other words, use a source you trust.

        Good luck,

        Steve.

        PS - I live in Bermuda, where we have a 12% (or more) population of Azorean natives and descendants (including Almeidas) - it could even be I have met someone you know. I'm told most of the people who moved here came from Sao Miguel.

        "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
        ~ Kahlil Gibran

      • gsterculius
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007
          My favourite source for in depth info on culinary herbs and spices is
          the wonderful Gernot Katzer, he has both

          http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/index.html

          George