Re: [pfaf] Re: Trees in Shetland?

  • Griselda
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15 2:59 AM
      On a recent trip to Cyprus, I saw the mountains mostly devoid of any
      shrubbery or trees, and evidence of goat-pasturing extensively practiced.
      However, in the areas around the British Sovereign Bases, where presumably
      the military do not (need to) practice goat-husbandry, there is a full and
      complex spread of native trees, shrubs and undergrowth. It looks wonderful
      compared to the harsh dry rock and parched lands elsewhere. Ancient texts
      and myths cite the island as being rich in timber, olive groves, wine, etc.
      Pretty much the same goes for the island of Crete.

      Griselda