Alternative Root Crops.

  • Ken Fern
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2002
      Dear Ivan

      I believe the root crop you are talking about is the ahipa (Pachyrhizus
      ahipa). This plant does appear in the PFAF database, though it is somewhat
      doubtful as a crop for the temperate zone. I enclose a brief excerpt from
      the database.

      If you want very detailed info on the plant, then I would recommend that you
      visit the site http://www.cgiar.org/ipgri/ and look at their info on Andean
      tubers. An excerpt from that info is included below.

      Hope this is of help.

      Ken Fern.

      Sometimes cultivated for its edible root in the Andes[196], this plant is
      not frost hardy but could possibly be grown as a summer crop in cool
      temperate zones. There are some named varieties[196]. When grown for its
      root the flowers should be removed, this is thought to increase the size of
      roots by up to 100%[196]. The plant is day-neutral and so is much more
      likely to produce tubers in this country than the related jicama,
      Pachyrrizus tuberosus[196]. It has produced good yields when grown in a
      greenhouse in Denmark[196]. A faster-maturing plant than the jicama, it
      flowers in about 10 weeks from seed and the root is harvested after 5 - 6
      months[196].

      The Neotropical genus Pachyrhizus DC. (the yam beans) is one of the few
      legume
      genera with edible tuberous roots. The so-called Mexican yam bean (or
      jícama, =
      P. erosus (L.) Urban) is the only species cultivated on a larger scale for
      the domestic
      as well as the export market and which has been successfully introduced to
      various
      regions pantropically and with remarkable success in Southeast Asia.
      However, of
      the five species within the genus, two additional species are cultivated: P.
      ahipa
      (Wedd.) Parodi and P. tuberosus, both of South American origin.
      At present P. ahipa is only recorded in cultivation practised by small
      communities
      situated in the subtropical east Andean valleys of Bolivia and northern
      Argentina at
      higher altitudes than the other two cultivated species (Ørting 1996b; Ørting
      et al.
      1996).
      The variation available within this little known species was until recently
      poorly
      recorded as only five accessions were available to morphological and
      physiological
      studies. Not until additional germplasm, representing Bolivian landraces of
      known
      origin, was included in the studies could a fair estimation of the specific
      variation
      be completed. It was previously accepted that all P. ahipa landraces were of
      determinate growth habit, i.e. small erect bushes, with a short growth
      season of 6 to
      less than 5 months, but now landraces with indeterminate growth and a longer
      growth season have become known. The species is so far only known in
      cultivation
      and only genotypes producing a single, vertical tuberous root have been
      seen. The
      tuberous root is characterized by having a higher dry matter content (more
      than
      10%) than recorded in P. erosus and the Ashipa cultivar group within the P.
      tuberosus
      complex. The tubers are, as a rule, consumed fresh almost like a fruit.
      The Yam Bean Project - a multidisciplinary research project aimed at
      elucidating
      the agronomic potential of the genus and initiated in 1985 - has succeeded
      in the
      collecting and evaluation of the widest range of extant genotypes of both
      the wild
      and the cultivated species.
      It is the hope of the authors that the great potential and attractiveness of
      this
      species as an alternative tuber crop for subtropical regions will be clearly
      demonstrated.