Re: blue, yellow flowers. half shadow.

  • Stephe
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
      Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
      with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
      Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
      storage. Should I try them???
      Stephen
      Malvik, Norway
      Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" geirf@... HYPERLINK
      "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab
      <mailto:geirf@...?Subject=
      Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20half%20shadow%2E>
      Sun Mar 4, 2007 6:47 am (PST)
      I guess this would all also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
      all of the flower varieties.
      If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
      beeng larger than the need for next years crop..

      Those of you who have tried them ..
      any receipts ???

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
        Yes of course,
        although noone says they taste good,
        and noone gives any written dishes...

        By the way I`m sure I`ve promised to send you some seeds etc..
        I don`t find the mails,
        do you remember
        your wishes , and my promises ??

        Crataegus pinnatifida...
        +
        Geir

        2007/3/6, Stephe <stephenb@...>:

        > Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
        > with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
        > Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
        > storage. Should I try them???
        > Stephen
        > Malvik, Norway
        > Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" geirf@... HYPERLINK
        > "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab
        > <mailto:geirf@...?Subject=
        > Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20half%20shadow%2E>
        > Sun Mar 4, 2007 6:47 am (PST)
        > I guess this would all also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
        > all of the flower varieties.
        > If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
        > beeng larger than the need for next years crop..
        >
        > Those of you who have tried them ..
        > any receipts ???
        >
        > Geir Flatabø

      • Dee Harris
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
          Sorry about changing the subject line but I've got a really big question for all of you. My husband and I have been wanting our own farm for the longest time and yet never had the money to get the land. Sooooo my question is this, does anyone know of someone who needs someone to housesit their farm? The person in question would also have to allow me to bring my dogs and cats. That means the whole package of keepers and pets.
          The truth of the matter is that I want my own place to be able to plant my herbs and veggies along with a few fruit trees plus give my dogs a wide open space to run without having to be on leashes. I need to be in the country and both my husband and myself are good at fixing things. Not only that but perhaps my husband and I can grow enough to be able to sell some of our produce. We don't believe in poisons and we both believe in using companion planting and other natural forms of farming. I can handle livestock. I was raised on a farm and we always had animals like cows, pigs and chickens. I'm good with animals.
          Could you all give it some thought and get back with me?
          Thanks,
          Wolf

          Stephe <stephenb@...> wrote:
          Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
          with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
          Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
          storage. Should I try them???
          Stephen
          Malvik, Norway
          Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" geirf@... HYPERLINK
          "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab
          <mailto:geirf@...?Subject=
          Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20half%20shadow%2E>
          Sun Mar 4, 2007 6:47 am (PST)
          I guess this would all also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
          all of the flower varieties.
          If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
          beeng larger than the need for next years crop..

          Those of you who have tried them ..
          any receipts ???

          test'; ">

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
            Hi Dee,

            Have you looked at the WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) Databases? They had some dream spots when I looked last year, and some are pretty flexible.
            There appears to be a WWOOF hub in most countries now, so you may find something worth "WWOOFing" for.

            Peace,

            Steve.

            "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
            ~ Kahlil Gibran

          • Martin Naylor
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
              Try wwoof, www.wwoof.org/home. and travell the planet
              Martin

              “There ain't no time to wonder why
              Whoopee! We're all gonna die.”
              ('Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die' Rag, Country Joe and The Fish, 1967)

              I have yet to meet a single person from our culture, no matter what his or her educational background, IQ, and specific training, who had powerful transpersonal experiences and continues to subscribe to the materialistic monism of Western science.
              - Albert Einstein

              http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/interference/a-to-z-guide-to-political.html political interference in science

            • Dee Harris
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                I'll check it out. As I said before they would have to take my animals long with me. After all they are my family.
                Once again, Thanks, Steve.
                Wolf

                icculus2000@... wrote:
                Hi Dee,

                Have you looked at the WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) Databases? They had some dream spots when I looked last year, and some are pretty flexible.
                There appears to be a WWOOF hub in most countries now, so you may find something worth "WWOOFing" for.

                Peace,

                Steve.

                "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
                ~ Kahlil Gibran

                test'; ">

              • stephen barstow
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 25, 2007
                  I finally got round to trying one of my Dahlia tubers – from the cultivar
                  “Bishop of Llandaff”! This was 1 hour ago and I’m still alive.

                  The taste was not unpleasant – a bit bland, but completely free of any hint
                  of bitterness. Not as strong a taste as cooked Jerusalem Artichokes. If I
                  ever had access to a lot of tubers I wouldn’t hesitate trying them again. I
                  never peel potatoes or Jerusalem Artichokes. However, Dahlia skins are
                  rather coarse and would probably require peeling.

                  Stephen, Malvik, Norway

                  --------

                  Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" HYPERLINK
                  "mailto:geirf@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20h
                  alf%20shadow%2E"geirf@... HYPERLINK
                  "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab

                  Tue Mar 6, 2007 10:31 am (PST)

                  Yes of course,
                  although noone says they taste good,
                  and noone gives any written dishes...

                  By the way I`m sure I`ve promised to send you some seeds etc..
                  I don`t find the mails,
                  do you remember
                  your wishes , and my promises ??

                  Crataegus pinnatifida.-..
                  +
                  Geir

                  2007/3/6, Stephe <HYPERLINK
                  "mailto:stephenb%40broadpark.no"stephenb@broadpark.-no>:

                  > Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
                  > with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
                  > Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
                  > storage. Should I try them???
                  > Stephen
                  > Malvik, Norway

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.