Re: [pfaf] Starchy roots

  • Pat Meadows
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6 6:03 AM
      On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 18:30:32 -0500, you wrote:

      >Hi Julie,
      >
      >Thanks for your suggestions. I have sweet potato and it does well. I don't
      >really like the flavor but it is easy to grow. Didn't mention it in my post
      >for some reason. I tried Oca last year and it just isn't doing well. Not
      >sure why but it barely stays alive potted in the nursery and where ever I
      >plant it out it just fades away. I think the summer heat is too intense for
      >it here.

      I think it probably is too. After all, the Incas lived in a cool and wet
      montane environment - the Andes. It makes sense that crops that evolved in
      those conditions aren't going to do well in Florida's heat and humidity.

      You could try some of the South Pacific or African starchy roots - like
      taro, for example, but note that "The plant is actually inedible if
      ingested raw because of needle-shaped raphides in the plant cells. Severe
      gastrointestinal distress can occur if the plant is improperly prepared for
      consumption." ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro )

      You could also try true yams (which are not the same species as our sweet
      potatoes). True yams are _Dioscorea batatas_ . I don't think they are
      sweet.

      Or manioc/cassava which is called 'yuca' in supermarkets in the USA, I
      think. (The starchy roots are very confusing.)

      A whole lot of information on these can probably be obtained at Echonet,
      which is located in Florida. http://www.echonet.org/

      NewCrop also has information on many of these crops:
      http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/default.html

      Pat

      Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

      'Every one of us can do something to protect and
      care for our planet. We should live in such a way
      that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh