Re: [pfaf] Re: blue, yellow flowers. half shadow.

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
      So
      in the autumn
      you will give us a report !

      Geir

      2007/3/4, Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...>:

      > I only have eaten the regular older varieties, but have ordered some from
      > Danielle"s dahlias In Idaho I think, I told them I wanted eatable
      > landscaping and wanted to know the biggest tubered varieties that they had,
      > they sent me a list and I ordered those, --so I will have to grow them this
      > year and do a taste test in the fall, --Michael
      >
      > Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote: I guess this would all
      > also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
      > all of the flower varieties.
      > If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
      > beeng larger than the need for next years crop..
      >
      > Those of you who have tried them ..
      > any receipts ???
      >
      > Geir Flatabø
      >
      > 2007/3/4, Pat Meadows <pat@...>:
      > >
      > > On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:18:20 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
      > >
      > > >One easy to find reference, for the edibility of Dahlia is
      > > www.duchbulbs.com/bulblady/march_2005/dahlias_d3.html
      > > > they were a South American food staple before being brought to Europe
      > > and relegated to a beautiful ornamental, I am sure if you look on the
      > net
      > > you will find more references, --
      > > >

      > > I did look, thanks. And I did find more references, but they seemed to
      > be
      > > split about equally with half saying that dahlias are edible, and about
      > > half saying that they are poisonous.
      > >
      > > However, now we know that people on this list have actually eaten them
      > > (and
      > > they are alive!) so that seems fairly conclusive. They could still be
      > > toxic, however.
      > >
      > > Pat
      > > --
      > > In the Appalachian Mountains in northern Pennsylvania
      > > Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com
      > >
      > > 'Every one of us can do something to protect and
      > > care for our planet. We should live in such a way
      > > that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Stephe
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
        Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
        with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
        Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
        storage. Should I try them???
        Stephen
        Malvik, Norway
        Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" geirf@... HYPERLINK
        "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab
        <mailto:geirf@...?Subject=
        Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20half%20shadow%2E>
        Sun Mar 4, 2007 6:47 am (PST)

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
          Yes of course,
          although noone says they taste good,
          and noone gives any written dishes...

          By the way I`m sure I`ve promised to send you some seeds etc..
          I don`t find the mails,
          do you remember
          your wishes , and my promises ??

          Crataegus pinnatifida...
          +
          Geir

          2007/3/6, Stephe <stephenb@...>:

          > Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
          > with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
          > Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
          > storage. Should I try them???
          > Stephen
          > Malvik, Norway
          > Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" geirf@... HYPERLINK
          > "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab
          > <mailto:geirf@...?Subject=
          > Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20half%20shadow%2E>
          > Sun Mar 4, 2007 6:47 am (PST)
          > I guess this would all also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
          > all of the flower varieties.
          > If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
          > beeng larger than the need for next years crop..
          >
          > Those of you who have tried them ..
          > any receipts ???
          >
          > Geir Flatabø

        • Dee Harris
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
            Sorry about changing the subject line but I've got a really big question for all of you. My husband and I have been wanting our own farm for the longest time and yet never had the money to get the land. Sooooo my question is this, does anyone know of someone who needs someone to housesit their farm? The person in question would also have to allow me to bring my dogs and cats. That means the whole package of keepers and pets.
            The truth of the matter is that I want my own place to be able to plant my herbs and veggies along with a few fruit trees plus give my dogs a wide open space to run without having to be on leashes. I need to be in the country and both my husband and myself are good at fixing things. Not only that but perhaps my husband and I can grow enough to be able to sell some of our produce. We don't believe in poisons and we both believe in using companion planting and other natural forms of farming. I can handle livestock. I was raised on a farm and we always had animals like cows, pigs and chickens. I'm good with animals.
            Could you all give it some thought and get back with me?
            Thanks,
            Wolf

            Stephe <stephenb@...> wrote:
            Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
            with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
            Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
            storage. Should I try them???
            Stephen
            Malvik, Norway
            Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" geirf@... HYPERLINK
            "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab
            <mailto:geirf@...?Subject=
            Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20half%20shadow%2E>
            Sun Mar 4, 2007 6:47 am (PST)
            I guess this would all also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
            all of the flower varieties.
            If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
            beeng larger than the need for next years crop..

            Those of you who have tried them ..
            any receipts ???

            test'; ">

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
              Hi Dee,

              Have you looked at the WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) Databases? They had some dream spots when I looked last year, and some are pretty flexible.
              There appears to be a WWOOF hub in most countries now, so you may find something worth "WWOOFing" for.

              Peace,

              Steve.

              "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
              ~ Kahlil Gibran

            • Martin Naylor
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
                Try wwoof, www.wwoof.org/home. and travell the planet
                Martin

                “There ain't no time to wonder why
                Whoopee! We're all gonna die.”
                ('Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die' Rag, Country Joe and The Fish, 1967)

                I have yet to meet a single person from our culture, no matter what his or her educational background, IQ, and specific training, who had powerful transpersonal experiences and continues to subscribe to the materialistic monism of Western science.
                - Albert Einstein

                http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/interference/a-to-z-guide-to-political.html political interference in science

              • Dee Harris
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                  I'll check it out. As I said before they would have to take my animals long with me. After all they are my family.
                  Once again, Thanks, Steve.
                  Wolf

                  icculus2000@... wrote:
                  Hi Dee,

                  Have you looked at the WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) Databases? They had some dream spots when I looked last year, and some are pretty flexible.
                  There appears to be a WWOOF hub in most countries now, so you may find something worth "WWOOFing" for.

                  Peace,

                  Steve.

                  "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
                  ~ Kahlil Gibran

                  test'; ">

                • stephen barstow
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 25, 2007
                    I finally got round to trying one of my Dahlia tubers – from the cultivar
                    “Bishop of Llandaff”! This was 1 hour ago and I’m still alive.

                    The taste was not unpleasant – a bit bland, but completely free of any hint
                    of bitterness. Not as strong a taste as cooked Jerusalem Artichokes. If I
                    ever had access to a lot of tubers I wouldn’t hesitate trying them again. I
                    never peel potatoes or Jerusalem Artichokes. However, Dahlia skins are
                    rather coarse and would probably require peeling.

                    Stephen, Malvik, Norway

                    --------

                    Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" HYPERLINK
                    "mailto:geirf@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20h
                    alf%20shadow%2E"geirf@... HYPERLINK
                    "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab

                    Tue Mar 6, 2007 10:31 am (PST)

                    Yes of course,
                    although noone says they taste good,
                    and noone gives any written dishes...

                    By the way I`m sure I`ve promised to send you some seeds etc..
                    I don`t find the mails,
                    do you remember
                    your wishes , and my promises ??

                    Crataegus pinnatifida.-..
                    +
                    Geir

                    2007/3/6, Stephe <HYPERLINK
                    "mailto:stephenb%40broadpark.no"stephenb@broadpark.-no>:

                    > Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
                    > with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
                    > Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
                    > storage. Should I try them???
                    > Stephen
                    > Malvik, Norway

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.