Re: [pfaf] Starchy roots

  • Julie Bruton-Seal
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2007
      Hi Dan,

      When I lived in North Carolina I found that sweet potato did really
      well, and it should grow well in Florida. You mentioned Tropaeolum
      tuberosum - another Inca crop you might try is Oca, Oxalis tuberosa.
      Both do well here in England, so I don't know how they'd do with heat
      and humidity but worth a try.
      best wishes,
      Julie
    • Dan Culbertson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2007
        Hi Julie,

        Thanks for your suggestions. I have sweet potato and it does well. I don't
        really like the flavor but it is easy to grow. Didn't mention it in my post
        for some reason. I tried Oca last year and it just isn't doing well. Not
        sure why but it barely stays alive potted in the nursery and where ever I
        plant it out it just fades away. I think the summer heat is too intense for
        it here.

        Dan

        > When I lived in North Carolina I found that sweet potato did really
        > well, and it should grow well in Florida. You mentioned Tropaeolum
        > tuberosum - another Inca crop you might try is Oca, Oxalis tuberosa.
        > Both do well here in England, so I don't know how they'd do with heat
        > and humidity but worth a try.
        > best wishes,
        > Julie
      • Pat Meadows
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2007
          On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 18:30:32 -0500, you wrote:

          >Hi Julie,
          >
          >Thanks for your suggestions. I have sweet potato and it does well. I don't
          >really like the flavor but it is easy to grow. Didn't mention it in my post
          >for some reason. I tried Oca last year and it just isn't doing well. Not
          >sure why but it barely stays alive potted in the nursery and where ever I
          >plant it out it just fades away. I think the summer heat is too intense for
          >it here.

          I think it probably is too. After all, the Incas lived in a cool and wet
          montane environment - the Andes. It makes sense that crops that evolved in
          those conditions aren't going to do well in Florida's heat and humidity.

          You could try some of the South Pacific or African starchy roots - like
          taro, for example, but note that "The plant is actually inedible if
          ingested raw because of needle-shaped raphides in the plant cells. Severe
          gastrointestinal distress can occur if the plant is improperly prepared for
          consumption." ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro )

          You could also try true yams (which are not the same species as our sweet
          potatoes). True yams are _Dioscorea batatas_ . I don't think they are
          sweet.

          Or manioc/cassava which is called 'yuca' in supermarkets in the USA, I
          think. (The starchy roots are very confusing.)

          A whole lot of information on these can probably be obtained at Echonet,
          which is located in Florida. http://www.echonet.org/

          NewCrop also has information on many of these crops:
          http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/default.html

          Pat

          Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

          'Every one of us can do something to protect and
          care for our planet. We should live in such a way
          that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh