Re: [pfaf] Re: blue, yellow flowers. half shadow.

  • Michael Porter
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
      also-you could try to find the yellow variety of Canna edulis, [I have the red ones] they are beautiful and also edible, Michael

      Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...> wrote: One easy to find reference, for the edibility of Dahlia is www.duchbulbs.com/bulblady/march_2005/dahlias_d3.html
      they were a South American food staple before being brought to Europe and relegated to a beautiful ornamental, I am sure if you look on the net you will find more references, --

      Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
      On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:59:47 -0000, you wrote:

      >--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "artemuse" <artemuse@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi to all,
      >>
      >> According to the colour of a blazon I'am looking for flowers :
      >> Blue, preferably a deep blue.
      >> Yellow, should be buttercup
      >>
      >> Soil fresh, rich.
      >>
      >> exposure : half shadow
      >>
      >> Size : any size up to 1,5 mtr.
      >>
      >> In France, Burgundy, Morvan.
      >>
      >> Any ideas ?
      >>
      >> Thank you.
      >>

      >How about Dahlia, those come in all colors [and are edible]

      Dahlias are edible????

      I have never read this, and I've read quite a bit about edible flowers.
      Maybe I've just missed it, but I do wonder a bit - do you have any
      references for this statement?

      Pat

      Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

      'Every one of us can do something to protect and
      care for our planet. We should live in such a way
      that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 4, 2007
        I guess this would all also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
        all of the flower varieties.
        If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
        beeng larger than the need for next years crop..

        Those of you who have tried them ..
        any receipts ???

        Geir Flatabø

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 4, 2007
          I only have eaten the regular older varieties, but have ordered some from Danielle"s dahlias In Idaho I think, I told them I wanted eatable landscaping and wanted to know the biggest tubered varieties that they had, they sent me a list and I ordered those, --so I will have to grow them this year and do a taste test in the fall, --Michael

          Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote: I guess this would all also go for Dahlia x cultorum,

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
            So
            in the autumn
            you will give us a report !

            Geir

            2007/3/4, Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...>:

            > I only have eaten the regular older varieties, but have ordered some from
            > Danielle"s dahlias In Idaho I think, I told them I wanted eatable
            > landscaping and wanted to know the biggest tubered varieties that they had,
            > they sent me a list and I ordered those, --so I will have to grow them this
            > year and do a taste test in the fall, --Michael
            >
            > Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote: I guess this would all
            > also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
            > all of the flower varieties.
            > If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
            > beeng larger than the need for next years crop..
            >
            > Those of you who have tried them ..
            > any receipts ???
            >
            > Geir Flatabø
            >
            > 2007/3/4, Pat Meadows <pat@...>:
            > >
            > > On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:18:20 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
            > >
            > > >One easy to find reference, for the edibility of Dahlia is
            > > www.duchbulbs.com/bulblady/march_2005/dahlias_d3.html
            > > > they were a South American food staple before being brought to Europe
            > > and relegated to a beautiful ornamental, I am sure if you look on the
            > net
            > > you will find more references, --
            > > >

            > > I did look, thanks. And I did find more references, but they seemed to
            > be
            > > split about equally with half saying that dahlias are edible, and about
            > > half saying that they are poisonous.
            > >
            > > However, now we know that people on this list have actually eaten them
            > > (and
            > > they are alive!) so that seems fairly conclusive. They could still be
            > > toxic, however.
            > >
            > > Pat
            > > --
            > > In the Appalachian Mountains in northern Pennsylvania
            > > Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com
            > >
            > > 'Every one of us can do something to protect and
            > > care for our planet. We should live in such a way
            > > that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Stephe
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
              Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
              with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
              Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
              storage. Should I try them???
              Stephen
              Malvik, Norway
              Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" geirf@... HYPERLINK
              "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab
              <mailto:geirf@...?Subject=
              Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20half%20shadow%2E>
              Sun Mar 4, 2007 6:47 am (PST)

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                Yes of course,
                although noone says they taste good,
                and noone gives any written dishes...

                By the way I`m sure I`ve promised to send you some seeds etc..
                I don`t find the mails,
                do you remember
                your wishes , and my promises ??

                Crataegus pinnatifida...
                +
                Geir

                2007/3/6, Stephe <stephenb@...>:

                > Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
                > with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
                > Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
                > storage. Should I try them???
                > Stephen
                > Malvik, Norway
                > Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" geirf@... HYPERLINK
                > "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab
                > <mailto:geirf@...?Subject=
                > Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20half%20shadow%2E>
                > Sun Mar 4, 2007 6:47 am (PST)
                > I guess this would all also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
                > all of the flower varieties.
                > If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
                > beeng larger than the need for next years crop..
                >
                > Those of you who have tried them ..
                > any receipts ???
                >
                > Geir Flatabø

              • Dee Harris
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                  Sorry about changing the subject line but I've got a really big question for all of you. My husband and I have been wanting our own farm for the longest time and yet never had the money to get the land. Sooooo my question is this, does anyone know of someone who needs someone to housesit their farm? The person in question would also have to allow me to bring my dogs and cats. That means the whole package of keepers and pets.
                  The truth of the matter is that I want my own place to be able to plant my herbs and veggies along with a few fruit trees plus give my dogs a wide open space to run without having to be on leashes. I need to be in the country and both my husband and myself are good at fixing things. Not only that but perhaps my husband and I can grow enough to be able to sell some of our produce. We don't believe in poisons and we both believe in using companion planting and other natural forms of farming. I can handle livestock. I was raised on a farm and we always had animals like cows, pigs and chickens. I'm good with animals.
                  Could you all give it some thought and get back with me?
                  Thanks,
                  Wolf

                  Stephe <stephenb@...> wrote:
                  Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
                  with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
                  Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
                  storage. Should I try them???
                  Stephen
                  Malvik, Norway
                  Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" geirf@... HYPERLINK
                  "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab
                  <mailto:geirf@...?Subject=
                  Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20half%20shadow%2E>
                  Sun Mar 4, 2007 6:47 am (PST)
                  I guess this would all also go for Dahlia x cultorum,
                  all of the flower varieties.
                  If you grow them , there will always be some "left over", the root crop
                  beeng larger than the need for next years crop..

                  Those of you who have tried them ..
                  any receipts ???

                  test'; ">

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
                    Hi Dee,

                    Have you looked at the WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) Databases? They had some dream spots when I looked last year, and some are pretty flexible.
                    There appears to be a WWOOF hub in most countries now, so you may find something worth "WWOOFing" for.

                    Peace,

                    Steve.

                    "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
                    ~ Kahlil Gibran

                  • Martin Naylor
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
                      Try wwoof, www.wwoof.org/home. and travell the planet
                      Martin

                      “There ain't no time to wonder why
                      Whoopee! We're all gonna die.”
                      ('Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die' Rag, Country Joe and The Fish, 1967)

                      I have yet to meet a single person from our culture, no matter what his or her educational background, IQ, and specific training, who had powerful transpersonal experiences and continues to subscribe to the materialistic monism of Western science.
                      - Albert Einstein

                      http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/interference/a-to-z-guide-to-political.html political interference in science

                    • Dee Harris
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                        I'll check it out. As I said before they would have to take my animals long with me. After all they are my family.
                        Once again, Thanks, Steve.
                        Wolf

                        icculus2000@... wrote:
                        Hi Dee,

                        Have you looked at the WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) Databases? They had some dream spots when I looked last year, and some are pretty flexible.
                        There appears to be a WWOOF hub in most countries now, so you may find something worth "WWOOFing" for.

                        Peace,

                        Steve.

                        "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
                        ~ Kahlil Gibran

                        test'; ">

                      • stephen barstow
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 25, 2007
                          I finally got round to trying one of my Dahlia tubers – from the cultivar
                          “Bishop of Llandaff”! This was 1 hour ago and I’m still alive.

                          The taste was not unpleasant – a bit bland, but completely free of any hint
                          of bitterness. Not as strong a taste as cooked Jerusalem Artichokes. If I
                          ever had access to a lot of tubers I wouldn’t hesitate trying them again. I
                          never peel potatoes or Jerusalem Artichokes. However, Dahlia skins are
                          rather coarse and would probably require peeling.

                          Stephen, Malvik, Norway

                          --------

                          Posted by: "Geir Flatabø" HYPERLINK
                          "mailto:geirf@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20blue%2C%20yellow%20flowers%2E%20h
                          alf%20shadow%2E"geirf@... HYPERLINK
                          "http://profiles.yahoo.com/geirflatab"geirflatab

                          Tue Mar 6, 2007 10:31 am (PST)

                          Yes of course,
                          although noone says they taste good,
                          and noone gives any written dishes...

                          By the way I`m sure I`ve promised to send you some seeds etc..
                          I don`t find the mails,
                          do you remember
                          your wishes , and my promises ??

                          Crataegus pinnatifida.-..
                          +
                          Geir

                          2007/3/6, Stephe <HYPERLINK
                          "mailto:stephenb%40broadpark.no"stephenb@broadpark.-no>:

                          > Hi Geir: I've tried unsuccessfully to get hold of the wild species Dahlia
                          > with the thought of trying them. However, I did grow a cultivar "Bishop of
                          > Llandaff" as the next best thing last summer and I have a few tubers in
                          > storage. Should I try them???
                          > Stephen
                          > Malvik, Norway

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.