Re: [pfaf] Japanese Knotweed

  • Dee Harris
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 16, 2007
      Little wonder if it's as invasive as you say. Sounds like what burdock does.
      Wolf

      Griselda <griselda1@...> wrote:
      In the UK you can¹t buy it. It¹s illegal to move it from any property out
      into public space, or into another property without licence (commercial
      destruction companies). This applies to any part of the plant, in the
      smallest possible amount.

      Griselda

      > Can it be grown in a pot?
      > Wolf
      >
      > mIEKAL aND <memexikon@... <mailto:memexikon%40mwt.net> > wrote:
      > -early shoots can be eaten like asparagus
      > -goats & pigs love it but needs to be rationed because they will eat
      > it until it makes them sick
      > -we make panpipes & flutes from the dried stalks
      > -& the famous Chinese tonic for long life Shou Wei is made from it
      >
      > & of course don't ever plant it where you're not gonna want it in 20
      > years.
      >
      > ~mIEKAL
      >
      > On Feb 14, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Dee Harris wrote:
      >
      >> > I haven't had a chance to get to the original post about Japanese
      >> > Knotweed so can someone fill me in? Is Japanese Knotweed only good
      >> > for breaking down compost or is it good for other uses?
      >> > Wolf
      >
      > test'; ">

      test'; ">

    • Dee Harris
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 16, 2007
        There is only one natural predator for such plants but I wouldn't suggest putting them in any garden since they spread faster than the plants do and that's grub worms. They will kill off anything in their area.
        Wolf

        Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
        On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:30:41 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Little wonder if it's as invasive as you say. Sounds like what burdock does.

        I think the prize for Horrible Invasive Plants goes to giant hogweed,
        however. That stuff is SCARY!

        http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/pdf/Hogweed_factsheet.pdf

        I have never seen it, just read about it. I hope it stays that way.

        Pat

        Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

        'Every one of us can do something to protect and
        care for our planet. We should live in such a way
        that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh

        test'; ">