Re: [pfaf] Japanese Knotweed

  • Griselda
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 15, 2007
      If vinegar could do it and you were the first to discover it, you¹d be a
      millionaire if you kept your formula secret.

      The plant grows along canal and river banks, and along railway lines. It is
      TERRIFICALLY invasive. It has taken over huge swathes of Pembrokeshire,
      Cornwall, Devon, etc. It is one of only 3 plants which are banned by law
      in the UK. It has no natural predators in this country, having been imported
      for about 100 years from Japan as an ornamental waterside plant. In small
      clumps it looks graceful (something like bamboo) but it spreads quickly and
      almost irrevocably. In Japan there are predators which keep it in check
      (insect and fungus I think), but scientists are loathe to bring these to the
      UK in case they attack related plants.

      It forms almost impenetrable thickets, and no other plant except established
      trees can survive. Also it has nothing living on it, so it creates
      ecological desert areas.

      Good luck with the vinegar. I think you might need something more like
      sulphuric acid!!!!!! (No, not really).

    • Dee Harris
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 16, 2007
        There is only one natural predator for such plants but I wouldn't suggest putting them in any garden since they spread faster than the plants do and that's grub worms. They will kill off anything in their area.

        Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
        On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:30:41 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Little wonder if it's as invasive as you say. Sounds like what burdock does.

        I think the prize for Horrible Invasive Plants goes to giant hogweed,
        however. That stuff is SCARY!

        I have never seen it, just read about it. I hope it stays that way.

        Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

        'Every one of us can do something to protect and
        care for our planet. We should live in such a way
        that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh

        test'; ">

        Get your own web address.