Re: [pfaf] Japanese Knotweed

  • mIEKAL aND
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 14, 2007
      -early shoots can be eaten like asparagus
      -goats & pigs love it but needs to be rationed because they will eat
      it until it makes them sick
      -we make panpipes & flutes from the dried stalks
      -& the famous Chinese tonic for long life Shou Wei is made from it

      & of course don't ever plant it where you're not gonna want it in 20
      years.

      ~mIEKAL

      On Feb 14, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Dee Harris wrote:

      > I haven't had a chance to get to the original post about Japanese
      > Knotweed so can someone fill me in? Is Japanese Knotweed only good
      > for breaking down compost or is it good for other uses?
      > Wolf
    • Dee Harris
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 16, 2007
        There is only one natural predator for such plants but I wouldn't suggest putting them in any garden since they spread faster than the plants do and that's grub worms. They will kill off anything in their area.
        Wolf

        Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:
        On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:30:41 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Little wonder if it's as invasive as you say. Sounds like what burdock does.

        I think the prize for Horrible Invasive Plants goes to giant hogweed,
        however. That stuff is SCARY!

        http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/pdf/Hogweed_factsheet.pdf

        I have never seen it, just read about it. I hope it stays that way.

        Pat

        Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

        'Every one of us can do something to protect and
        care for our planet. We should live in such a way
        that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh

        test'; ">