Re: Humanure

  • Traveler in Thyme
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
      We let our humanure pile set for 2 years, and have 3 piles we rotate. The Chinese have been using "night soil" to fertilise rice paddies for millenium, which just goes to show that you can become immune to almost anything. I, however, do not trust our pile to use on the veggies, but we do spread it under the trees.

      Last year, we both got intestinal crud after spreading the humanure, and I was sure we had killed ourselves. But talking on the phone with my family in Austin, they all had the same crud that week, so I think it was something "going around" and not contamination from the humanure. What a relief...!

      I read in Discover magazine that hogs fed on corn fertilized with hog manure have much lower cholera rates that hogs fed on chemically fertilized corn. Makes sense to me.

      ---Marcia Cash
      Traveler in Thyme
      http://www.travelerinthyme.com

    • Cindy
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
        --- Traveler in Thyme <marcia@...> wrote:

        > We let our humanure pile set for 2 years, and have 3
        > piles we rotate. The Chinese have been using
        > "night soil" to fertilise rice paddies for
        > millenium, which just goes to show that you can
        > become immune to almost anything. I, however, do
        > not trust our pile to use on the veggies, but we do
        > spread it under the trees.

        Presumably you'd heat the rice enough to kill bacteria
        and viruses when it's cooked. Prions wouldn't be
        killed, though, I don't think.

        I think I'd keep it under the trees too.

        Cindy

        Never Miss an Email