Re: [pfaf] Re: Humanure

  • Pat Meadows
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2007
      On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:38:14 -0000, you wrote:

      > Agreed! Any idea as how to compost it? The water is reasonably
      >clear with a tinge of a brown hue. Maybe soaking straw in it and
      >then composting the straw? And what temperature must the composting
      >process reach, and for what duration of time at the specific temp?

      No, I don't know. You're way beyond my knowledge now. Sorry.

      Have you read 'The Humanure Handbook'? Maybe that would help.

      You can read it online: http://www.weblife.org/humanure/default.html

      Pat

      Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

      'Every one of us can do something to protect and
      care for our planet. We should live in such a way
      that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh
    • GRACE CRABB
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2007
        you can use humanure as compost but if it is wet i.e. mixed with urine you will have to leave it to compost thoroughly for 2 years. This kills all know pathogens, especially in a warm country like yours. It is always safer to use humanure on trees, but if composted thoroughly but you can use it on the garden. The best way is to use a dry compost toilet, seperating urine that you can use as fertiliser. The shit should be mixed with a soak material so that it composts as the chamber fills. You can then close that chamber and start on another, leaving that poo and paper or sawdust etc to compost for a year or 2. It is then. Bacteria and invertebrates that live in compost piles are capable of digesting pretty much anything, even heavy metals. Your compost will probably be perfectly safe in a couple of months as the dangerous gut bacteria can not survive outside the gut for long, but it is better to be on the safe side.
        Using the shit wet makes it more likely to carry nasty pathogans for longer as the environment is anoxic and those helpful bacteria can't survive.
        Hope that helps
        Grace

        Warron <pinigardens@...> wrote:
        Dear people,

        I am a newby at organics, and was surprised to find out
        about "humanure". The idea that human waste could be composted in an
        open system "safely" had never occured to me. I myself have a 3
        stage sceptic tank. The whole house contributes to this tank,
        toilets,bath, shower, washing machine etc. ( I live in a secluded
        area on a greek island and am not connected to any sewage mains). I
        also only use biodegrable cleaning products, soaps, shampoos etc.
        The tank is anaerobic (no pumping of oxygen into the system). When
        it is full I pump it out to my olive trees and have seen a large
        increase in olive oil productivity, but never dared to use it on my
        vegetable garden nor my cut herb business; only on my fruit trees.

        My questions are, how safe is "humanure", and is the system I am
        using a safe one? Never had any problems up till now that I have
        noticed, but maybe I am damaging the water table. I have a large
        water well and had the tank built at a 50m distance from my well
        hoping not to contaminate my water supply, even though it is a
        closed concrete structure (my concrete is porous). Is this a good
        distance? Have seen 'bacteria pellets' for tanks, should I use
        this? I am not squeamish but overly cautious, thats' the virgo in
        me.

        p.s. Should I donate some olive oil to speed up their "bowel
        movements" in their attempt to reach the 2 ton goal?! :)

        Light Life Love Liberty. LLLL

        regards,
        Warron

        > Hi all,
        > I've just had a call from Mirie one of the organisers of the
        climate
        > change camp, being held at the end of August.
        >
        > They are hoping to collect all their human waste and send it to
        someone
        > who could use it. They are expecting to have about 2 tons.
        >
        > Does anyone know of anyone who could cope with 2 tons of nutrients?
        > If so contant
        > Mirie 0777 498 751 debrirr@...
        >
        > All the best
        >
        > Rich
        > --
        > Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        > Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
        > Post: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
        > Tel: 01208 872 963
        > Email: webweaver@...

      • Traveler in Thyme
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
          We let our humanure pile set for 2 years, and have 3 piles we rotate. The Chinese have been using "night soil" to fertilise rice paddies for millenium, which just goes to show that you can become immune to almost anything. I, however, do not trust our pile to use on the veggies, but we do spread it under the trees.

          Last year, we both got intestinal crud after spreading the humanure, and I was sure we had killed ourselves. But talking on the phone with my family in Austin, they all had the same crud that week, so I think it was something "going around" and not contamination from the humanure. What a relief...!

          I read in Discover magazine that hogs fed on corn fertilized with hog manure have much lower cholera rates that hogs fed on chemically fertilized corn. Makes sense to me.

          ---Marcia Cash
          Traveler in Thyme
          http://www.travelerinthyme.com

        • Cindy
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 12, 2007
            --- Traveler in Thyme <marcia@...> wrote:

            > We let our humanure pile set for 2 years, and have 3
            > piles we rotate. The Chinese have been using
            > "night soil" to fertilise rice paddies for
            > millenium, which just goes to show that you can
            > become immune to almost anything. I, however, do
            > not trust our pile to use on the veggies, but we do
            > spread it under the trees.

            Presumably you'd heat the rice enough to kill bacteria
            and viruses when it's cooked. Prions wouldn't be
            killed, though, I don't think.

            I think I'd keep it under the trees too.

            Cindy

            Never Miss an Email