lrish potatoe(Solanum tuberosum)

  • Donald
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2007
      Dear Friends,
      In my country expirience have shown that burnt heaps of grass,gives
      high yield of potatoe(Solanum tuberosum)compare to unburnt ground.This
      high yields is only observe for the first harvest.How can this be
      explained.
      Thanks for understanding
    • icculus2000@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 25, 2007
        Hi Donald,

        Perhaps the sudden release of nutrients into the groundwater (as a result of ash and rotting plant material after the burn) is the source of your luxuriant growth. However, as you burn off the groundcover, it seems to me that after your first harvest your natural source of nutrients has disappeared.
        May I suggest scattering dampened ashes on the field and leaving your groundcover intact?

        Peace,

        Steve.

        "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
        ~ Kahlil Gibran

      • Andrea Cordone
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2007
          Hi Donald,
          If you burned vegetation (in my country burnt grass too) the nutrients
          are more disponibilty for the plants, as an explotion of abundance. But,
          if don't practice the burn and leave that the plants decomposed, the
          nutrients disponibility "move" to soil near the roots more "slow", is
          not an explotion of abundance for the plant, but is more sustainable.
          Bye... and sorry for my english, please tell me if the text is
          understandable.
          Andrea - Argentina

          On mar, 2007-01-23 at 15:26 +0000, Donald wrote:
          > Dear Friends,
          > In my country expirience have shown that burnt heaps of grass,gives
          > high yield of potatoe(Solanum tuberosum)compare to unburnt
          > ground.This
          > high yields is only observe for the first harvest.How can this be
          > explained.
          > Thanks for understanding

          Pregunt�. Respond�. Descubr�.
          Todo lo que quer�as saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
          est� en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
          �Probalo ya!
          http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas
        • icculus2000@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
            hi everyone

            I assume you understood the email from Andrea by its context - and because she's exactly right, but I thought I'd throw in a one-word translation ( I knew it because the same thing happens from French to English and vice-versa).

            disponible = available (the root comes from the latin "to dispense" - as in information or nutrients, etc).

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
              Yes Steve I would said avaiable.
              See all soon
              Andrea