Re:Intercultivation of citrus with lemongrass

  • icculus2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2007
      Hello Gurpreet,

      I would like to reply to your request..

      Firstly, you can plant whatever you want beneath your citrus.
      Secondly, the best way to find out is to do it.

      You have laid out ten reasons why you (or someone else?) should go ahead with your idea, so I don't see why you need us to tell you to do it.

      Having said that, I have a few comments on your reasoning.

      -You refer to intercropping as a means to increase your profitability, but it seems that you must harvest the lemongrass to make a monetary gain from it.

      -If your lemongrass is a perennial soil cover, how do you plan to use it commercially?
      (your description of it as a "permanent sod/turf" lead me to believe it will remain there).

      -I infer from the term "spent waste" that you will be pulling up the crop of lemongrass on a regular basis. (If so, how do you account for the effects of this tillage upon your soil structure?)

      I hope I haven't seemed antagonistic in my questioning.. My hope is that you will go ahead and try your project and let us know what you discovered - for I do not have the luxury of an orchard.

      Good luck,

      Namaste,

      Steve.

      "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
      ~ Kahlil Gibran

    • Gurpreet Singh
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2007
        Dear Steve,
        Hi
        Thanks for your message.
        Having put forth my opinions- it is nice to have received feed-back- It helps inter-active way of finding a solution.
        The idea is to minimise the risk, -by doing the ground work, before embarking upon a project.