Intercultivation of citrus with lemongrass

  • Gurpreet Singh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2007
      Dear Sir,

      I request feed-back on possibility and viability of inter-cultivation of citrus with lemongrass.

      This is in view of the fact that-
      a.. Inter-cropping shall increase profitability
      b.. It is relatively pest free & disease free.
      c.. Essential Oil of lemongrass is "pest-repellant" thus to an extent, may be helpful for citrus
      d.. Lemongrass is not liked by animals, because of its "bitter ingredients", and hence there is no animal-trespass
      e.. It requires little maintenance after the initial establishment
      f.. Spent waste can be composted and can also be used as mulch
      g.. nThis crop, because of its perrenial soil cover, helps regulate soil temperature
      h.. Lemongrass acts as a permanent "sod/turf", thereby reducing weed growth
      i.. Lemongrass, with its fibrous roots makes the soil more permeable and well aerated.
      j.. Lemongrass encourages earth-worm population in the soil, there-by making it healthier.
      Kind Regards,
      Gurpreet Singh

    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2007
        > Dear Sir,
        >

        > I request feed-back on possibility and viability of
        inter-cultivation of citrus with lemongrass.
        > Snipped

        This was a border line post for this list, I've approved this as there
        were some interesting properties of lemon grass, but I'll probably
        reject further messages, unless others on the list show interest.
        We're primarially a discussion list rather than an advertising forum.

        Rich (moderator)
      • icculus2000@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2007
          Hello Gurpreet,

          I would like to reply to your request..

          Firstly, you can plant whatever you want beneath your citrus.
          Secondly, the best way to find out is to do it.

          You have laid out ten reasons why you (or someone else?) should go ahead with your idea, so I don't see why you need us to tell you to do it.

          Having said that, I have a few comments on your reasoning.

          -You refer to intercropping as a means to increase your profitability, but it seems that you must harvest the lemongrass to make a monetary gain from it.

          -If your lemongrass is a perennial soil cover, how do you plan to use it commercially?
          (your description of it as a "permanent sod/turf" lead me to believe it will remain there).

          -I infer from the term "spent waste" that you will be pulling up the crop of lemongrass on a regular basis. (If so, how do you account for the effects of this tillage upon your soil structure?)

          I hope I haven't seemed antagonistic in my questioning.. My hope is that you will go ahead and try your project and let us know what you discovered - for I do not have the luxury of an orchard.

          Good luck,

          Namaste,

          Steve.

          "Every thought I have imprisoned in expression I must free by my deeds."
          ~ Kahlil Gibran

        • Gurpreet Singh
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 16, 2007
            Dear Steve,
            Hi
            Thanks for your message.
            Having put forth my opinions- it is nice to have received feed-back- It helps inter-active way of finding a solution.
            The idea is to minimise the risk, -by doing the ground work, before embarking upon a project.