Re: [pfaf] Re: Tincture to cure itches?

  • Myke Ashley-Cooper
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
      Many thanks for this - what I suspected!
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
        Calendula oil or gel is our preferred choice for anti-itch remedy. Tea tree oil works, too, for some people, my neighbor mixes tea tree and aloe vera gel for his eczema, you might try something like that?

        The only relief for bedbug bites is really just waiting a week, keeping the bites open to the fresh air and DON'T SCRATCH. Did you know if you never scratch a mosquito or chigger bite, they will not itch for more than a few minutes? Be strong, be brave, wear gloves, whatever, but don't break the skin and the poison will absorb more harmlessly.

        We get bedbugs, too, every summer, from the wild woods around our house. Our Texas bedbugs, the cone-nosed bloodsucker, get over an inch long, and make deep puncture wounds that swell into hard knots the size of a marble.

        Some people are very allergic to the painkiller that these bugs inject to keep their sleeping prey from noticing the bites. Apparently, they make their nests in mouse and squirrel dwellings, and the baby bloodsuckers live there until the are ready to mate, when they seek bigger prey because a female needs to feed 5 times before her eggs will hatch. They are really a nuisance to my poor dogs.

        The only solution to infestation is to keep NOTHING under your bed, and vacuum all crevices twice weekly. Don't store anything under the house, either, and keep all rodent nests far away as possible. Boric acid in all the cracks of the house, and a layer of diotomaceous earth under the house, are our best hope for staying bug free in this part of the forest.

        Also, the saying "crazy as a bedbug" comes from the bizarre mating habits. The females have no sex organ openings, and the male has a sharp stinger-like ovipositor, which he uses to pierce the females exoskeleton at any point where he can catch her. He'll jump on anything that has vaguely the same colour pattern as her back: dead leaves, photos of a female, etc., which is pretty crazy behaviour! I think I know a few human guys who act like that........huh?

        I have a photo of a humongous one I caught in our bed, if you want to see, email me.

        ---Marcia Cash
        Traveler in Thyme
        http://www.travelerinthyme.com