Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Artemisia - plant to cure malaria

Expand Messages
  • Traveler in Thyme
    No, I can t quote any sources, I just had some old information, probably propaganda (LOL) but isn t Absinthe illegal in the U.S.? ... Traveler in Thyme
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 5, 2007
      No, I can't quote any sources, I just had some old information, probably propaganda (LOL) but isn't Absinthe illegal in the U.S.?


      ---Marcia Cash
      Traveler in Thyme
      http://www.travelerinthyme.com


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Frank
      ... You have been lucky for 51 years then. A plant giving a reaction on the skin certainly is suspect, some are actually very nice to eat (like Urtica spp.).
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 6, 2007
        --- Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:

        > Then what would you suggest, Frank? Not using herbs
        > at all? I'll have you know that I"ve been using
        > herbs most of my life and that's 51 years worth. I
        > do think that I have some knowledge of what I'm
        > doing.

        You have been lucky for 51 years then. A plant giving
        a reaction on the skin certainly is suspect, some are
        actually very nice to eat (like Urtica spp.). But
        there are enough plant poisons that don't give a
        reaction on the skin (for example saponins). Some
        poisons work slowly over a long period of time. As I
        said there are no simple test. I am very much for
        using plants, a lot of chemical medicines are very
        bad (= poisonous).

        But before starting using plants (especially for
        food or medicine) you have to be sure that
        you have identified it correctly (use several books or
        somebody that knows about plants). Also learn about
        the plant (books, the PFAF database, use google).
        Some medicinal plants are not suitable for self
        medication, some plants might interact with
        conventional medicines... Some plants are just
        wonderfully effective and totally safe...

        Plant toxicity is a difficult subject and
        there seems to be quit a bit of wrong information
        around. I wouldn't be surprised if the ethanol
        in Absinthe would be more poisonous than the
        thujone it contains.

        I don't want to scare anyone out of using plants,
        just to point out some wrong info. Especially people
        who are just starting to learn about plants. I
        remember
        when I first came to The Field I got a bit carried
        away with tasting all those nice plants and started
        eating stuff that is not meant to be eaten (Senecio
        jacobaea), it was a young one and I only took a little
        bit, *without any ill effects*. If I hadn't learned
        more about this plant and mixed in my daily salads, my
        liver - and I - would be gone.

        Frank.

        __________________________________________________
        Do You Yahoo!?
        Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dee Harris
        And you, Sir, have no idea of what you re talking about. I ve studies herbs all of my life. Grew up with them in fact. Just because you prefer to use chemicals
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 6, 2007
          And you, Sir, have no idea of what you're talking about. I"ve studies herbs all of my life. Grew up with them in fact. Just because you prefer to use chemicals to natural forms of healing doesn't give you the right to tell someone that they don't know what they're talking about.
          As for identification of plants, again, I've been doing this for more than half a century. Maybe you think that your way is the only one, but it isn't.
          Wolf the herbalist

          Frank <chaewen@...> wrote:
          --- Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:

          > Then what would you suggest, Frank? Not using herbs
          > at all? I'll have you know that I"ve been using
          > herbs most of my life and that's 51 years worth. I
          > do think that I have some knowledge of what I'm
          > doing.

          You have been lucky for 51 years then. A plant giving
          a reaction on the skin certainly is suspect, some are
          actually very nice to eat (like Urtica spp.). But
          there are enough plant poisons that don't give a
          reaction on the skin (for example saponins). Some
          poisons work slowly over a long period of time. As I
          said there are no simple test. I am very much for
          using plants, a lot of chemical medicines are very
          bad (= poisonous).

          But before starting using plants (especially for
          food or medicine) you have to be sure that
          you have identified it correctly (use several books or
          somebody that knows about plants). Also learn about
          the plant (books, the PFAF database, use google).
          Some medicinal plants are not suitable for self
          medication, some plants might interact with
          conventional medicines... Some plants are just
          wonderfully effective and totally safe...

          Plant toxicity is a difficult subject and
          there seems to be quit a bit of wrong information
          around. I wouldn't be surprised if the ethanol
          in Absinthe would be more poisonous than the
          thujone it contains.

          I don't want to scare anyone out of using plants,
          just to point out some wrong info. Especially people
          who are just starting to learn about plants. I
          remember
          when I first came to The Field I got a bit carried
          away with tasting all those nice plants and started
          eating stuff that is not meant to be eaten (Senecio
          jacobaea), it was a young one and I only took a little
          bit, *without any ill effects*. If I hadn't learned
          more about this plant and mixed in my daily salads, my
          liver - and I - would be gone.

          Frank.

          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com







          test'; ">
          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • annahummingtree
          We all know what we know (each of us have our own bits of the cosmic puzzle) and the brilliant thing about an email group such as this is that it allows us to
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 6, 2007
            We all know what we know (each of us have our own bits of the cosmic puzzle) and the brilliant thing about an email group such as this is that it allows us to exchange our knowledge and experiences and learn from each other.
            Dear Wolf, as a trained medical herbalist (now retired) I think that Frank was wise to sound a serious note of caution. Most herbs are valuable healers, which can often be used even long-term with great benefits, but there are enough really powerful dangerous herbs to make it very important not just to know whether a herb is poisonous or not, but also the exact dosages for particular individuals, how often to take them, how long, in what combinations, and so on. Just testing herbs on the skin on the inner elbow is just not good enough.
            Dear Frank, at the same time, it is heartening to come accross someone like Wolf, who has had a life-long relationship with herbs. Based on my own lifetime experience I believe that being friends with the plants enhances their potency, very much like any loving relationship enhances healing. It is not uncommon that the plants give us the knowledge how we can work with them for healing, but this is only possible if there is deep communication, familiarity and respect with our plant-relatives. What works for some people can never really be recommended as a general recipe for success.
            In these days with so many really good books and also an absolute treasure of information and pictures available on the Internet, no one needs to resort to testing out themselves whether a herb is poisonous or not. Anyhow, even if you could establish this by yourself (almost impossible since many toxins take time to show their lethal effects), this tells you nothing about dosage (all important in poisonous plants, which are often great healers in specific minute dosages), how to use and prepare a particular herb, which can often be of vital relevance in treating serious conditions, etc.etc.
            In survival conditions, when you have to use unknown plants as food, it is recommended practice to hold a small piece of plant material under the tongue, where substances are relatively easily transferred to the bloodstream. You then have to pay attention to what sensations this causes, locally and in the rest of your body. But how could we possibly recommend this practice in a situation where we have such an abundance of information all around us?
            As someone, who has studied herbs and the culture of their use for many years, I can say with some confidence that our original knowledge of the herbs did not come from 'experimentation', as is commonly believed. All ancient cultures and remaining indigenous cultures (eg. in the Amazon) tell us that this knowledge was communicated to us by the plants themselves and after that of course the ever increasing empirical experience of working with the plants. The trouble is nowadays that people no longer have the sort of relationship with the natural world where this is any longer a possibility, in which case please take your guidance from established and proven traditions and research!.
            What I would recommend is for anyone with a serious interest in plants (and the above subject) to read Stephen Harrod Buhner books: "The Secret Teachings of Plants: The Intelligence of the Heart in the Direct Perception of Nature" and "The Lost Language of Plants: The Ecological Importance of Plant Medicines for Life on Earth". Of course there are many knowledgeable good writers on the subject, but this guy is really outstanding. He knows his subject and a lot of other subjects besides. He is a rare combination of being thoroughly versed in traditional ways of relating to plants, as well as being up to date with cutting edge science. His research is immaculate. He's also an excellent writer (and poet). But most important of all (in my opinion) he will help to change people's relationships with plants (and with themselves).
            Please Google him or look him for reviews. I believe his books are worth boxes full of others.
            Green leaves and Love, AnnaHummingtree

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Frank
            ... Can you be more specific in about the incorrect information in my reply, I like to learn. ... My comment was not about your knowledge of herbs, it is about
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 9, 2007
              --- Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:
              > And you, Sir, have no idea of what you're talking
              > about.

              Can you be more specific in about the incorrect
              information in my reply, I like to learn.

              > I"ve studies herbs all of my life. Grew up
              > with them in fact.

              My comment was not about your knowledge of herbs,
              it is about your poisonous plants test.

              > Just because you prefer to use
              > chemicals to natural forms of healing

              > > Frank <chaewen@...> wrote:
              > > I am very much for
              > > using plants, a lot of chemical medicines are
              very
              > > bad (= poisonous).

              > doesn't give
              > you the right to tell someone that they don't know
              > what they're talking about.

              Anybody is allowed to point out wrong information.

              But what gives you the right to put words into my
              mouth?

              > As for identification of plants, again, I've been
              > doing this for more than half a century.

              You might familiar with plants and their uses, a lot
              of people regrettably aren't. It does the advocacy
              of using plants no good if somebody without affinity
              for & knowledge of plants takes your test and gets
              poisoned.

              Frank


              __________________________________________________
              Do You Yahoo!?
              Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Frank
              ... I believe this too. On the PFAF website a lot of good reasons are given for growing perennial plants. One thing I found that isn t mentioned is the
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 9, 2007
                > Based on my own
                > lifetime experience I believe that being friends
                > with the plants enhances their potency, very much
                > like any loving relationship enhances healing.

                I believe this too. On the PFAF website a lot
                of good reasons are given for growing perennial
                plants. One thing I found that isn't
                mentioned is the different relationship with
                perennial plants. (I am not talking about medicinal
                plants here but edible ones). When I pick a salad I
                visit a lot of plants, whilst taking leaves I often
                talk with them, now they are the best friends I
                have at The Field and an important reason for me
                to go back there regularly. It's definitely different
                from growing lettuce.

                > It is
                > not uncommon that the plants give us the knowledge
                > how we can work with them for healing, but this is
                > only possible if there is deep communication,
                > familiarity and respect with our plant-relatives.

                My communication with plants hasn't regrettably
                reached this level, but maybe I am just more
                interested
                if they are edible (and nice tasting) or not.
                I seem to developing a sense of poisonous plants,
                but I would not trust my self, and always check on
                other peoples experiences.

                > In survival conditions, when you have to use unknown
                > plants as food, it is recommended practice to hold a
                > small piece of plant material under the tongue,
                > where substances are relatively easily transferred
                > to the bloodstream. You then have to pay attention
                > to what sensations this causes, locally and in the
                > rest of your body.

                Under survival conditions I would first
                do a skin test (what Wolf described), then a your
                test,
                then to chew a bit without swallowing, then to eat
                a little bit. Between each test there should be
                enough time (a day), and as you say you have to pay
                attention. Only test one plant at a time. Still some
                poisonous plants might slip through, don't continue
                eating the plant after survival without looking
                up other peoples experiences.

                I found the remaining bit of a your mail very
                interesting. I will take a look at the books
                Stephen Harrod Buhner books. As I'm very interested
                in deepening my relation with plants. If anybody
                on the list has experience or advice, I'd like to
                hear!

                Frank

                __________________________________________________
                Do You Yahoo!?
                Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Dee Harris
                Sir, the plants I spoke of are ones that are normally plants used in healing. NOTHING I ever use is poisious. I deal with healing herbs. These do not include
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 9, 2007
                  Sir, the plants I spoke of are ones that are normally plants used in healing. NOTHING I ever use is poisious. I deal with healing herbs. These do not include herbs such as monkshood or anything like that. When I spoke of testing on the inner part of the elbow, I was refering to the possibility of an allergic reaction to these same herbs such as rose hips, hibiscus and such.
                  However, you shot me down like I was a rank amateur and I am far from that. Not everyone can use sage tea for example, or rosemary tea and that's why I posted the warning.
                  Maybe next time before you open your mouth you will ask for clarification first.
                  Wolf

                  Frank <chaewen@...> wrote:
                  --- Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:
                  > And you, Sir, have no idea of what you're talking
                  > about.

                  Can you be more specific in about the incorrect
                  information in my reply, I like to learn.

                  > I"ve studies herbs all of my life. Grew up
                  > with them in fact.

                  My comment was not about your knowledge of herbs,
                  it is about your poisonous plants test.

                  > Just because you prefer to use
                  > chemicals to natural forms of healing

                  > > Frank <chaewen@...> wrote:
                  > > I am very much for
                  > > using plants, a lot of chemical medicines are
                  very
                  > > bad (= poisonous).

                  > doesn't give
                  > you the right to tell someone that they don't know
                  > what they're talking about.

                  Anybody is allowed to point out wrong information.

                  But what gives you the right to put words into my
                  mouth?

                  > As for identification of plants, again, I've been
                  > doing this for more than half a century.

                  You might familiar with plants and their uses, a lot
                  of people regrettably aren't. It does the advocacy
                  of using plants no good if somebody without affinity
                  for & knowledge of plants takes your test and gets
                  poisoned.

                  Frank

                  __________________________________________________
                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  http://mail.yahoo.com







                  test'; ">
                  __________________________________________________
                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Frank
                  ... This is quite different from what you wrote before, And it is indeed very sensible to test even plants that are considered save (also when trying food
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                    --- Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:

                    > Sir, the plants I spoke of are ones that are
                    > normally plants used in healing. NOTHING I ever use
                    > is poisious. I deal with healing herbs. These do not
                    > include herbs such as monkshood or anything like
                    > that. When I spoke of testing on the inner part of
                    > the elbow, I was refering to the possibility of an
                    > allergic reaction to these same herbs such as rose
                    > hips, hibiscus and such.

                    This is quite different from what you wrote before,
                    And it is indeed very sensible to test even plants
                    that are considered save (also when trying food
                    plants that you haven't eaten before).

                    > Maybe next time before you open your mouth you
                    > will ask for clarification first.

                    Because your post didn't have the above context,
                    I felt a obligation to warn people that this
                    test doen't prevent accidental poisoning with all
                    plants. Outside the above context your post was
                    dangerous. Your last post was clear and had good
                    advice. Thank you.

                    Frank

                    __________________________________________________
                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.