Tincture to cure itches?

  • Myke Ashley-Cooper
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
      On a recent trip to Namibia from South Africa, my wife and I stayed in a number of Bed & Breakfast establishments and returned with a bedbug or two. Our doctor and our dermatologist misdiagnosed the rashes we both got; the first diagnozed an allergy and the second eczema because we have a very clean home! But, 3 months later and after using many products in vain, we found the dreaded culprit. We think we've eradicated the little devil but are still itching. Can anyone recommend a herbal tincture to rid us of the itches and/or the bite sites please?

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
        First trial
        topical Acetic acid 7%

        Geir Flatabø

        2007/1/6, Myke Ashley-Cooper <ashley.cooper@...>:
        > On a recent trip to Namibia from South Africa, my wife and I stayed in a number of Bed & Breakfast establishments and returned with a bedbug or two. Our doctor and our dermatologist misdiagnosed the rashes we both got; the first diagnozed an allergy and the second eczema because we have a very clean home! But, 3 months later and after using many products in vain, we found the dreaded culprit. We think we've eradicated the little devil but are still itching. Can anyone recommend a herbal tincture to rid us of the itches and/or the bite sites please?

      • bty840684
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
          An extremely effective and very safe tincture to use is Quassia
          (Picrasma quassioides).

          I have used this on a number of occasions to rid children of body
          parasites, particularly head lice, and it has yet to fail.

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Geir Flatabø" <geirf@...> wrote:

          > First trial
          > topical Acetic acid 7%
          >
          > Geir Flatabø
          >
          > 2007/1/6, Myke Ashley-Cooper <ashley.cooper@...>:
          > > On a recent trip to Namibia from South Africa, my wife and I
          stayed in a number of Bed & Breakfast establishments and returned
          with a bedbug or two. Our doctor and our dermatologist misdiagnosed
          the rashes we both got; the first diagnozed an allergy and the second
          eczema because we have a very clean home! But, 3 months later and
          after using many products in vain, we found the dreaded culprit. We
          think we've eradicated the little devil but are still itching. Can
          anyone recommend a herbal tincture to rid us of the itches and/or the
          bite sites please?

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • orb orb
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
            You could also try essential oil of lavender and or geraniam about 6 drops in a desertspoon full of base oil.
            Aub

            Myke Ashley-Cooper <ashley.cooper@...> wrote:
            On a recent trip to Namibia from South Africa, my wife and I stayed in a number of Bed & Breakfast establishments and returned with a bedbug or two. Our doctor and our dermatologist misdiagnosed the rashes we both got; the first diagnozed an allergy and the second eczema because we have a very clean home! But, 3 months later and after using many products in vain, we found the dreaded culprit. We think we've eradicated the little devil but are still itching. Can anyone recommend a herbal tincture to rid us of the itches and/or the bite sites please?

          • Mike Barnett
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
              Hi Myke,

              I do not have experiences with bedbugs, but after many visits to a farm I hold where the neighbour routinely lets go his cattle adhoc, I got first hand experience with similarly insidious grass-lice.... which if not found... can leave nasty infected bites that itch me for easily 9-10 days after being bitten.
              You can first bathe in warm water and "sap" the infected areas with colloidal oatmeal or cornstarch for its soothing, antipruritic properties.
              Put on some "organic" herbal calamine lotion to help with the itching such as at http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=050&cat=17.
              Aloe vera gel raw, from the cool fridge is very good for me... and also...for your tinctures, you may want to use chamomile flowers, tumeric leaves, but for a repellent, to be used at night, (your bedfriends are nocturnal) you may want to use tee tree oil, peppermint, lemongrass, pimento essential oils in a fine castor oil base.

              Poor farmers here use kerosene oil to kill the buggers and to soothe itching, but all I am telling you is done at your own risk.
              I decline to give you a recipe, for repellent and tincture, but with some foreknowledge, which you seem to have.. you should be able to figure it out.

              I wear the oil when I go into the bushes, and it works for me!!

              Mike, new member just subscribed in...
              JAMAICA

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
                Thanks all for the suggestions. I really appreciate the input of so many people and will attempt to try some of the various remedies.
                Regards from South Africa

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
                  I have found a supplier of Quassia. Is this tincture rubbed onto the body or drunk?

                  An extremely effective and very safe tincture to use is Quassia
                  (Picrasma quassioides).

                  I have used this on a number of occasions to rid children of body
                  parasites, particularly head lice, and it has yet to fail.

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Geir Flatabø" <geirf@...> wrote:

                  > First trial
                  > topical Acetic acid 7%
                  >
                  > Geir Flatabø
                  >
                  > 2007/1/6, Myke Ashley-Cooper <ashley.cooper@...>:
                  > > On a recent trip to Namibia from South Africa, my wife and I
                  stayed in a number of Bed & Breakfast establishments and returned
                  with a bedbug or two. Our doctor and our dermatologist misdiagnosed
                  the rashes we both got; the first diagnozed an allergy and the second
                  eczema because we have a very clean home! But, 3 months later and
                  after using many products in vain, we found the dreaded culprit. We
                  think we've eradicated the little devil but are still itching. Can
                  anyone recommend a herbal tincture to rid us of the itches and/or the
                  bite sites please?

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • bty840684
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
                    The quassia is rubbed onto the affected parts of the body and not
                    washed off for a couple of days. It has a bitter flavour and acts as
                    a deterrent as well as a parasiticide. You may need to give a second
                    treatment 2 - 3 days later if there is the possibility of eggs on the
                    body that could hatch after the adults have been killed.
                    Quassia is also occasionally used internally as a liver tonic, but
                    there are probably better hers to use this way.

                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Myke Ashley-Cooper" <ashley.cooper@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I have found a supplier of Quassia. Is this tincture rubbed onto
                    the body or drunk?

                  • Myke Ashley-Cooper
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
                      Many thanks for this - what I suspected!

                      wrote:

                      > I have found a supplier of Quassia. Is this tincture rubbed onto
                      the body or drunk?

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Traveler in Thyme
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
                        Calendula oil or gel is our preferred choice for anti-itch remedy. Tea tree oil works, too, for some people, my neighbor mixes tea tree and aloe vera gel for his eczema, you might try something like that?

                        The only relief for bedbug bites is really just waiting a week, keeping the bites open to the fresh air and DON'T SCRATCH. Did you know if you never scratch a mosquito or chigger bite, they will not itch for more than a few minutes? Be strong, be brave, wear gloves, whatever, but don't break the skin and the poison will absorb more harmlessly.

                        We get bedbugs, too, every summer, from the wild woods around our house. Our Texas bedbugs, the cone-nosed bloodsucker, get over an inch long, and make deep puncture wounds that swell into hard knots the size of a marble.

                        Some people are very allergic to the painkiller that these bugs inject to keep their sleeping prey from noticing the bites. Apparently, they make their nests in mouse and squirrel dwellings, and the baby bloodsuckers live there until the are ready to mate, when they seek bigger prey because a female needs to feed 5 times before her eggs will hatch. They are really a nuisance to my poor dogs.

                        The only solution to infestation is to keep NOTHING under your bed, and vacuum all crevices twice weekly. Don't store anything under the house, either, and keep all rodent nests far away as possible. Boric acid in all the cracks of the house, and a layer of diotomaceous earth under the house, are our best hope for staying bug free in this part of the forest.

                        Also, the saying "crazy as a bedbug" comes from the bizarre mating habits. The females have no sex organ openings, and the male has a sharp stinger-like ovipositor, which he uses to pierce the females exoskeleton at any point where he can catch her. He'll jump on anything that has vaguely the same colour pattern as her back: dead leaves, photos of a female, etc., which is pretty crazy behaviour! I think I know a few human guys who act like that........huh?

                        I have a photo of a humongous one I caught in our bed, if you want to see, email me.

                        ---Marcia Cash
                        Traveler in Thyme
                        http://www.travelerinthyme.com