Re: Shaping The Future report and new Events at PFAF

  • spacevegan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2002
      Hi Richard,

      Thanks for the report of the planning event.
      When you say "we need to train 500 people by October", is this to
      raise funds? What sort of training is on offer - I couldn't find any
      training info on the website (I'd like to come to the Woodland
      Gardening and Nutrition courses mentioned in your mail though).

      Cheers,
      Rob
    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24, 2002
        Rob et al,
        > Thanks for the report of the planning event.
        > When you say "we need to train 500 people by October", is this to
        > raise funds? What sort of training is on offer - I couldn't find any
        > training info on the website (I'd like to come to the Woodland
        > Gardening and Nutrition courses mentioned in your mail though).

        The 500 people is connected with a grant application. Last year
        we got a £25,000 grant from the Devon and West Somerset Key Fund.
        This allowed us to buy a lot of tools, equipment and materials to
        allow us to start training people. The grant also went a long way
        towards paying for the construction of a new entrance to the site
        which has to be meet highways agency standards and has to be done
        by an official contractor, a snip at five grand!

        As with all grants there are conditions to be met, the big one
        being that we have to "train" 500 people and have 200 volunteers
        by November. Training is interpreted quite loosely, if we show
        someone how to plant a tree that is considered to be training.
        Quite a bit of "training" happened at the Shaping the Future
        event: including polyhedral dome construction, tool maintenance,
        shower construction, gardening, wildlife identification, tree
        planting, water self-sufficiency, tree planting etc. etc.
        If we get you through the door we'll get you trained!

        Rich

        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2002

          http://health.yahoo.com