Many questions

  • BT Benjaminson
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 15, 2006
      Shalom from Israel

      1. I am just now starting some seeds of perennial wheat but have little information on their water needs. I live in a climate where we get only 7 inches of rain, all within a few months in the winter.
      If anyone has experience or information about whether I will need to irrigate, or any other cultural advice, please share.
      2. Also if anyone here found a source for perennial kale please also share that.
      3. Does anyone know a Yahoo group or web site that covers appropriate technology for homescale food processing? For example, I have a hand cranked grain mill. But I don't have anything to use to thresh the wheat that I hope to harvest. (well besides some pebble tools I found here, but I hope for something a little better...)
      I'm also interested in threshing and pressing oil seeds of various sorts--sunflower, safflower, argania, and milling "flour" seeds like mesquite.
      The processing of "calorie" foods seems to me the weak link any attempt to become fully self-reliant, and so I hope to strengthen it.
      4. Does anyone know of suppliers of useful plants that specialize in plants/seeds for Mediterranean climates? This essentially means plants that are both drought and flood resistant ! : -)
      5. Does anyone know of a field guide to useful wild plants of the Mediterranean?

      Bat-Tzion Benjaminson
      Negev, Israel

    • Pat Meadows
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 16, 2006
        On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 06:11:44 +0200, you wrote:

        >3. Does anyone know a Yahoo group or web site that covers appropriate technology for homescale food processing? For example, I have a hand cranked grain mill. But I don't have anything to use to thresh the wheat that I hope to harvest. (well besides some pebble tools I found here, but I hope for something a little better...)

        You probably would like to read Gene Logsdon's book 'Small Scale Grain
        Raising', if you haven't already. It's available, free, here:

        http://www.soilandhealth.org/copyform.aspx?bookcode=030210

        For threshing wheat, I have seen (probably in the above book, possibly in
        Carla Emery's 'Encyclopedia of Country Living) a plastic baseball bat
        recommended. You put the grain on a tarp on a flat surface and flail away
        at it with the bat.

        Or you can make an actual flail which can be made from two sections of a
        broom handle, a longer one and a shorter one. Drill holes near the end of
        each one. Thread a rope through the holes and tie them together. You hold
        the longer end and beat the grain with the shorter end.

        Photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail_(agriculture)

        Then the grain can be tossed from a basket onto the floor in a breeze, or
        in front of a fan, to winnow it (get rid of the chaff).

        Also, this book:

        http://www.journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devicesToC.html

        has a plethora of useful tools, many of which can easily be made, and some
        of them are for homescale food processing. (I don't often get to use the
        word 'plethora', so that was fun.) :)

        Cheers,
        Pat
        -- Northern Pennsylvania
        'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our
        planet. We should live in such a way that makes a
        future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh
      • icculus2000@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 16, 2006
          Hello Bat-Tzion,

          I'm Steve from Bermuda.

          You may wish to look into seedball techniques. Masanobu Fukuoka has written extensively on this approach to germinating seeds in harsh climates. (His three most well-known books are "The One-Straw Revolution," "The Natural Way of Farming" and "The Road Back to Nature.")
          Seedballs consist of clay and soil mxed up with seeds and pushed through a screen to create small lumps... they are then wetted and rolled around on a mat or in a drum to create the balls. Each ball contains one or more seeds, and protects the seed from predation by insects and birds until the conditions are right for germination.
          There are also other instructional sites online and in publication on this subject.

          You asked about pressing oil seeds.. I would look in the south of France first, personally.. the French have been pressing olive oil for hundreds of years. Their presses are based on a screw clamp design (or a simple weighted press) and could be adaptable for many varieties of seeds.
          One simple home press (from an herbal extract design) is a 4-tonne car jack pushing a cannister up onto a solid block (this is all contained by a steel frame). The block crushes the seeds/leaves/other material and squeezes out the fluid within. A tap hole in the bottom of the cannister with a tube leading to your holding container should complete your retrieval process.

          I hope that helps you.. and I'm sorry I didn't know more info on what you asked about.

          Peace, and good luck.

          Steve.

          "For about thirty years I wandered,
          Searching for the real Tao everywhere.
          How many times did I see the trees
          Grow new branches and watch the old leaves fall.
          But at this moment, seeing the peach blossoms,
          Suddenly there are no more doubts."

          - Huang Shan-ku (1045 – 1105)

        • Gloria C. Baikauskas
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 2006
            The problem with seedballs is that they need to be put out before a
            rain....and if the rain does not come at the time crops are to be
            grown....then they don't work as well.

            Look into peddle threshers for the grain. Do a search for them
            online. Otherwise the ways mentioned before do just fine.

            Gloria, Texas

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, <icculus2000@...> wrote:

            > Hello Bat-Tzion,
            >
            > I'm Steve from Bermuda.
            >
            > You may wish to look into seedball techniques. Masanobu Fukuoka
            has written extensively on this approach to germinating seeds in
            harsh climates. (His three most well-known books are "The One-Straw
            Revolution," "The Natural Way of Farming" and "The Road Back to
            Nature.")
            > Seedballs consist of clay and soil mxed up with seeds and pushed
            through a screen to create small lumps... they are then wetted and
            rolled around on a mat or in a drum to create the balls. Each ball
            contains one or more seeds, and protects the seed from predation by
            insects and birds until the conditions are right for germination.
            > There are also other instructional sites online and in
            publication on this subject.

            > You asked about pressing oil seeds.. I would look in the south of
            France first, personally.. the French have been pressing olive oil
            for hundreds of years. Their presses are based on a screw clamp
            design (or a simple weighted press) and could be adaptable for many
            varieties of seeds.
            > One simple home press (from an herbal extract design) is a 4-
            tonne car jack pushing a cannister up onto a solid block (this is all
            contained by a steel frame). The block crushes the
            seeds/leaves/other material and squeezes out the fluid within. A tap
            hole in the bottom of the cannister with a tube leading to your
            holding container should complete your retrieval process.

            > I hope that helps you.. and I'm sorry I didn't know more info on
            what you asked about.

            > Peace, and good luck.
            >
            > Steve.
            >

            > "For about thirty years I wandered,
            > Searching for the real Tao everywhere.
            > How many times did I see the trees
            > Grow new branches and watch the old leaves fall.
            > But at this moment, seeing the peach blossoms,
            > Suddenly there are no more doubts."
            >
            > - Huang Shan-ku (1045 – 1105)

          • angel_orto
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 2006
              Fine to read you from the Negev, I was there many years ago in Sde
              Boker and other interesting places and institutions.

              1)I have no
              knowledge about perennial wheat . It sounds interesting !

              2) I have
              seeds of Black Kale of Tuscany a quite hardy variety I may send to
              you.

              3) I have no idea about homescale food processing apart I saw
              electric
              mills for sale ,from Germany.

              4) I am also very interested in finding
              suppliers of useful plants that specialize in
              plants/seeds for
              Mediterranean climates, for instance I found a fine source in
              Genesis
              Seed but I think you know them ! ! : -)

              5) Apart the usual books
              about Mediterranean Flora (Huxley Polunin )I am still looking for a
              field guide to useful wild plants of the Mediterranean ,I also have
              one
              fine book by Zohary .

              In Spanish I found a useful booklet :

              1.
              Hierbas silvestres comestibles
              Manuel Durruti
              Editorial: Everest
              Año:
              2002 (1 Ed.)
              Idioma: Español
              Págs: 189
              Encuadernación: Plastificado;
              Color
              Dimensiones: 19 x 11 cms.
              Peso: 400 grs.
              Materias:
              Más de 75
              detalladas descripciones y fotografías que le permitiran reconocer,
              clasificar y preparar las principales hierbas comestibles más
              importantes. Encontrará también recetas sencillas para cocinarlas.

              So apart Kale I was not very useful to you, but hope to hear your
              advice !

              Angelo Barbetti
              Italy

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, BT Benjaminson <btbenj@...> wrote:

              > Shalom from Israel
              >
              > 1. I am just now starting some seeds of perennial wheat but have
              little information on their water needs. I live in a climate where
              we get only 7 inches of rain, all within a few months in the winter.
              > If anyone has experience or information about whether I will need
              to irrigate, or any other cultural advice, please share.
              > 2. Also if anyone here found a source for perennial kale please
              also share that.
              > 3. Does anyone know a Yahoo group or web site that covers
              appropriate technology for homescale food processing? For example, I
              have a hand cranked grain mill. But I don't have anything to use to
              thresh the wheat that I hope to harvest. (well besides some pebble
              tools I found here, but I hope for something a little better...)
              > I'm also interested in threshing and pressing oil seeds of various
              sorts--sunflower, safflower, argania, and milling "flour" seeds like
              mesquite.
              > The processing of "calorie" foods seems to me the weak link any
              attempt to become fully self-reliant, and so I hope to strengthen it.
              > 4. Does anyone know of suppliers of useful plants that specialize
              in plants/seeds for Mediterranean climates? This essentially means
              plants that are both drought and flood resistant ! : -)
              > 5. Does anyone know of a field guide to useful wild plants of the
              Mediterranean?

              > Bat-Tzion Benjaminson
              > Negev, Israel

            • sarahannharmon
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2006
                i live in the Galilee region, couldn't help hearing the word kale, and
                my ears perk right up. does your black kale enjoy the heat? would it
                be possible to work something out to get some?

                be well,
                sarah

                -

                > 2) I have
                > seeds of Black Kale of Tuscany a quite hardy variety I may send to
                > you.

              • mamma_key
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Hello there-
                  I too would be greatly interested in aquiring some hardy Kale seeds. I have some blue corn
                  and chervil seeds to offer in trade. However I am in the states- would that be on interest to
                  you.
                  Thanks,
                  Bethany

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "angel_orto" <riwob@...> wrote:
                  >> 2) I have
                  > seeds of Black Kale of Tuscany a quite hardy variety I may send to
                  > you.

                  > So apart Kale I was not very useful to you, but hope to hear your
                  > advice !
                  >
                  > Angelo Barbetti
                  > Italy

                • octavio torres
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 11, 2006
                    I INSIST I want get Salicornia seeds. Have anyone? Thanks

                    sarahannharmon <sarahannharmon@...> escribió: i live in the Galilee region, couldn't help hearing the word kale, and

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 24, 2006
                      Now as sun has turned
                      and days are slowly getting longer here in the north, it is time to
                      think next growing season. Till now the warmest winther ever in
                      Norway. At this time of year we use to have between minus 10 - 20
                      centigrades and more or less snow,
                      instead there is around + 10 centigrades, and snow melting up to above 1000 m...
                      no freezing temperatures in December so far....

                      - but
                      anyway -
                      anyone knows of sources of Oregon white truffle ???
                      of the northernmost, most hardy clones of Arundinaria gigantea -
                      for trying to establish in Norway ??

                      Geir Flatabø

                      On 12/12/06, octavio torres <ambyagro@...> wrote:
                      > I INSIST I want get Salicornia seeds. Have anyone? Thanks
                      >
                      > sarahannharmon <sarahannharmon@...> escribió: i live in the Galilee region, couldn't help hearing the word kale, and
                      > my ears perk right up. does your black kale enjoy the heat? would it
                      > be possible to work something out to get some?
                      >
                      > be well,
                      > sarah
                      >
                      > -
                      > >
                      > > 2) I have
                      > > seeds of Black Kale of Tuscany a quite hardy variety I may send to
                      > > you.

                    • Pat Meadows
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 24, 2006
                        On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 05:11:24 +0100 (CET), you wrote:

                        >I INSIST I want get Salicornia seeds. Have anyone? Thanks

                        I believe that 'The Real Seed Catalogue' in the UK sells them.

                        See: http://www.realseeds.co.uk/salads.html

                        Scroll down to 'Liscari sativa (Salsola soda)'

                        I *think* this is the plant you are referring to, but I'm not positive.

                        Pat
                        Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
                        http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
                      • nieema
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 24, 2006
                          Greetings All

                          Count me in too please. We had the best Kale in Germany and the
                          Nederlands and can not fine any here of the same quality.

                          I really need the good seeds soon so I can get back to the best of
                          health. Kale was one of the best!!!

                          Happy Seasons all

                          NieeMA