[Fwd: FOURTH North Devon Seed Swap Feb 2007]

  • Rich Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2006
      Contact: Helen Gray or Julian Vayne, 24 Torrington Lane, East-the-Water,
      Bideford, Devon EX39 4EP Tel: 01237 424029
      email: lava@...
      <mailto:lava@...> web:
      http://seedswap.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

      The* FOURTH* North Devon Seed Swap will be held on Sunday 11th February
      2007 at Tapeley Park 10am-1pm, Nr Instow.

      ALL WELCOME

      Bring some seeds to swap * heritage varieties * Cafe * information *
      demonstrations * fun!

      It doesn't matter if you don't have any seeds to bring, come along, get
      some for free and bring them back to next years swap!

      Our venue is inside the lovely Tapeley Barn, with cafe and log fire!

      />> DEAR GARDENERS - we used up ALL of our seeds last year, so if you'd
      like to donate some seeds in advance of the next swap we'd be really
      grateful!/

      thanks for your support

      //

      background info.

      Organisers Helen Gray and Julian Vayne are sending out a call to local
      gardeners and suppliers of organic plants and seeds to come along. Entry
      to the event is free and the Seed Swap team are keen to encourage any
      groups who would like a stall at the event to come forward. "Payment for
      stalls will be in kind or seed, not cash" explained Julian Vayne.
      "The idea of a seed swap is to encourage people to grow local and
      heritage varieties of plants and vegetables" explained Helen Gray. "Over
      the years we have lost something like 90% of our traditional varieties
      of vegetables. International seed firms and, EU and copy write law have
      helped reduced this diversity. Go into your average supermarket and
      you're likely to see just one or two types of tomatoes on sale at the
      most. Even 50 years ago there were hundreds of varieties. We are asking
      gardeners to send us seeds that they have saved from their own plants.
      Some of these may well turn out to be little known and wonderful local
      varieties. At the Seed Swap we will be giving seeds away to other
      gardeners to ensure that vegetable and plant variety doesn't become a
      thing of the past."

      This is a very practical way that people can help the planet, protect
      the heritage of Devon and end up with some succulent veggies on their
      plate!"

      The Seed Swap team are also asking for seeds to be sent in advance of
      the event to 'start the ball rolling'; these will be given away on the
      day. Seed is best if it is labelled with the year it was collected, the
      type of plant and the name of the variety if it is known. If you would
      like to contribute to the Seed Swap please send seed to: North Devon
      Seed Swap, 24 Torrington Lane, East-the-Water, Bideford EX39 4EP. For