Shaping The Future report and new Events at PFAF

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2002
      Hi Folk,
      Sowing the Seeds and Shaping the Future at PFAF's Education Centre

      Things were looking pretty bleak for PFAF a few months ago. However the
      generosity of our loanstock holders and other offers of support has
      amazed us and PFAF is now on much firmer ground with an exciting year
      ahead. Plus we had the funds to buy a nature friendly grasscutter for
      the field.

      The situation is far from ideal, we still have a large debt to repay,
      we need to be running a viable business by the end of the year in order
      to acquire extended planning permission, and we must train 500 people
      by October to secure funding. We have a long way to go to ensure the
      future security of PFAF's Education Centre but the future is brighter.

      The last couple of months have been spent developing project files
      'Sowing the Seeds' - for the Education Centre at Blagdon Cross - which
      identify in detail many of the smaller projects which make up the whole
      and preparing for the Shaping The Future event. Thanks to everyone that
      contributed to making our first major event of the year a wonderful,
      uplifting experience.

      The Shaping the Future event, including a site tour featuring a picnic
      in a wheel barrow, was a great success attracting over 45 people from
      all over the country. A number of trees were donated and planted,
      including; Walnut, Fig, Dogwood and Plum. A large stretch of long
      overdue
      fencing maintenance was carried out - just a few miles to go, we
      reclaimed
      a kitchen garden and built a rustic retreat shower facility.

      We look forward to our next Shaping the Future event, 20-23 September,
      with anticipation.

      We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to the following
      events.

      A series of Wetland Ecosystem Treatment (WET System) Courses with Jay
      and
      Clara Treebough of Biologic Design will run between September 2002 and
      September 2003. The first will take place the month of September 2002
      on a magic hat basis. Courses will consist of designing and implementing
      the whole site water management system - enabling total catchment to
      provide gravity fed water supply virtually everywhere on the 84 acre
      site, incorporating site appraisal, survey and levels, design process,
      pond and swale creation, water catchment, filtration, and purification,
      plant irrigation, a wide range of edible and other useful water plants,
      plant propagation, a 4 acre lake and associated ponds.

      Two weekend Woodland Gardening Courses with Stephen Nutt are planned
      for 5/6th October and 26/27th October, these will revolve around
      designing
      and creating the Garden of Love - a woodland garden in an acre of
      existing
      woodland which is dedicated to Robert Hart.

      Plus a Nutition & Living Foods course Sept 1st/2nd with Sho and Dao of
      the
      EcoForrest, Spain, covering: The Anatomy of Digestion, Bacterial
      Digestion,
      Health problems and Solutions and Sustainable lifestyle options.

      We hope to see you here!

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2002
        Hi Richard,

        Thanks for the report of the planning event.
        When you say "we need to train 500 people by October", is this to
        raise funds? What sort of training is on offer - I couldn't find any
        training info on the website (I'd like to come to the Woodland
        Gardening and Nutrition courses mentioned in your mail though).

        Cheers,
        Rob
      • Richard Morris
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2002
          Rob et al,
          > Thanks for the report of the planning event.
          > When you say "we need to train 500 people by October", is this to
          > raise funds? What sort of training is on offer - I couldn't find any
          > training info on the website (I'd like to come to the Woodland
          > Gardening and Nutrition courses mentioned in your mail though).

          The 500 people is connected with a grant application. Last year
          we got a £25,000 grant from the Devon and West Somerset Key Fund.
          This allowed us to buy a lot of tools, equipment and materials to
          allow us to start training people. The grant also went a long way
          towards paying for the construction of a new entrance to the site
          which has to be meet highways agency standards and has to be done
          by an official contractor, a snip at five grand!

          As with all grants there are conditions to be met, the big one
          being that we have to "train" 500 people and have 200 volunteers
          by November. Training is interpreted quite loosely, if we show
          someone how to plant a tree that is considered to be training.
          Quite a bit of "training" happened at the Shaping the Future
          event: including polyhedral dome construction, tool maintenance,
          shower construction, gardening, wildlife identification, tree
          planting, water self-sufficiency, tree planting etc. etc.
          If we get you through the door we'll get you trained!

          Rich

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27, 2002

            http://health.yahoo.com