Re: [pfaf] A question from Argentina (fwd)

  • hill8628
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2001
      I checked in Steve Brill's book IDENTIFYING AND HARVESTING EDIBLE AND
      MEDICINAL PLANTS IN WILD (AND NOT SO WILD) PLACES and he lists Hawthorns as
      Craegus species and doesn't mention any that can't be eaten just that there
      is a difference in taste among the various types and that many do contain
      worms. So look before eating.

      Jackie from NY
      Hill8628@...
      Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:03:49 -0300
      From: Andrea Cordone <drakaika@...>
      To: Richard Morris <webmaster@...>
      Subject: A question from Argentina

      Dear Richard,

      I write you now because I need this information: Are all the species of
      Crataegus edible? I´m look in books, internet and ask to some people, but I
      not find the answer. Can you help me, please?

      I identify these species of Crataegus in my area: C.crus-galli and C.
      lavallei, but there are more species in my country.

      Thank you, Richard (and sorry for my english)

      Andrea Cordone

      NetZero Platinum
      Only $9.95 per month!
      Sign up in September to win one of 30 Hawaiian Vacations for 2!
    • hill8628
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2001
        from Bradford Angier's FIELD GUIDE TO EDIBLE WILD PLANTS:

        Hawthorn (Crataegus)

        ....Although readily distinguished as a genus, the numerous species are
        difficult in the extreme to differentiate among, although this is not too
        important to the individual seeking wild food. The fruit of all is edible,
        although it does differ greatly in quality when eaten raw.

        ...Taste differs greatly, however, and the only way to determine the
        palatableness of the particular fruit you've come across is by sampling it.

        Jackie from NY
        Hill8628@...
        I write you now because I need this information: Are all the species of
        Crataegus edible? I´m look in books, internet and ask to some people, but I
        not find the answer. Can you help me, please?

        I identify these species of Crataegus in my area: C.crus-galli and C.
        lavallei, but there are more species in my country.

        Thank you, Richard (and sorry for my english)

        Andrea Cordone

        NetZero Platinum
        Only $9.95 per month!
        Sign up in September to win one of 30 Hawaiian Vacations for 2!
      • R J Morris (Plants For A Future)

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26, 2001
            Crataegus, Hawthorne, is a genus in the Rosacea, a family of edible fruit,
            but with also medicinal and even toxic aspects (the seeds of many can be
            toxic in quantity). Crataegus is closely related to the apple tree, and as
            far as I know, like those of the apple, the fruits are all edible, but some
            are reportedly too bitter to eat or to bland to be of much interest. But,
            this is also a well known medicinal plant genus, so, the leaves, twigs,
            bark, roots and other parts, and even the fruit in large enough quantities,
            varying according to species, could have adverse effects upon some people.
            Here is an HerbMed page on Crataegus
            http://www.herbmed.org/herbs/Crataegus.htm
            with links to studies in several languages on the effects of preparations of
            Crataegus.

            But, in general, I would think that the fruit of all species of Crataegus
            would be edible, just not all are pleasant. Apples are all edible, but some
            are too bitter to eat. So, I guess this makes them inedible. So, I guess
            that my answer is that the fruit of Hawthorne is as edible as is the fruit
            of the Apple tree. I am not familiar with the species in Argentina,
            though...I would just taste them to tell.

            Joanie
            Massachusetts, US
            macphee@...

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 26, 2001
              Andrea,
              I can only speak of the Hawthorns here in North America and of the 26 or so
              that are according to Elias and Dykeman distinguishable, they all have
              edible fruit and list no poisonous look alikes.
              Linda in Georgia, USA