RE: [pfaf] Artemisia – plant to cure malar ia

  • Nora Chelbat
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
      I have not seeds but I would like to help in any way and I waws thinking about to travel to Africa for this purpose, so If you think I would helpfull,please contact me.
      Nora

      clareradiance <clare@...> escribió:
      I am going to volunteer on a project in Zambia, where malaria is rife.
      I have read that the artemisia plant is extremely successful at keeping
      malaria at bay. I am therefore trying to locate seeds for Artemisia, so
      that I can plant them in the permaculture project in Zambia, and help
      reduce the incidents of this disease.
      I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
      With warm regards,
      Clare

    • Pat Meadows
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
        On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:12:14 -0000, you wrote:

        >I am going to volunteer on a project in Zambia, where malaria is rife.
        >I have read that the artemisia plant is extremely successful at keeping
        >malaria at bay. I am therefore trying to locate seeds for Artemisia, so
        >that I can plant them in the permaculture project in Zambia, and help
        >reduce the incidents of this disease.
        >I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

        Artemisia is a generic name, not a specific name. There are various
        species of Artemisia.

        I think the one you want is _Artemisia annua_. It is sometimes called
        'Sweet Annie' or 'Quing-Hao'.

        The reason I believe this is the species is that 'The Green Pharmacy Herbal
        Handbook' by James Duke lists this plant as a malaria preventive and good
        for treating malaria.

        Here is one source for seeds:
        http://www.one-garden.org/Chinese/sweetann.htm

        Maybe you can find more sources by searching 'Artemisia annua'.

        Pat

        Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
        http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
      • Pat Meadows
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
          On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:12:14 -0000, you wrote:

          >I am going to volunteer on a project in Zambia, where malaria is rife.
          >I have read that the artemisia plant is extremely successful at keeping
          >malaria at bay. I am therefore trying to locate seeds for Artemisia, so
          >that I can plant them in the permaculture project in Zambia, and help
          >reduce the incidents of this disease.
          >I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

          PS (See my earlier message.)

          Nichols Garden Nursery has it too: http://tinyurl.com/gwddt