Artemisia – plant to cure malaria

  • clareradiance
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2006
      I am going to volunteer on a project in Zambia, where malaria is rife.
      I have read that the artemisia plant is extremely successful at keeping
      malaria at bay. I am therefore trying to locate seeds for Artemisia, so
      that I can plant them in the permaculture project in Zambia, and help
      reduce the incidents of this disease.
      I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
      With warm regards,
      Clare
    • Nora Chelbat

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
          On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:12:14 -0000, you wrote:

          >I am going to volunteer on a project in Zambia, where malaria is rife.
          >I have read that the artemisia plant is extremely successful at keeping
          >malaria at bay. I am therefore trying to locate seeds for Artemisia, so
          >that I can plant them in the permaculture project in Zambia, and help
          >reduce the incidents of this disease.
          >I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

          Artemisia is a generic name, not a specific name. There are various
          species of Artemisia.

          I think the one you want is _Artemisia annua_. It is sometimes called
          'Sweet Annie' or 'Quing-Hao'.

          The reason I believe this is the species is that 'The Green Pharmacy Herbal
          Handbook' by James Duke lists this plant as a malaria preventive and good
          for treating malaria.

          Here is one source for seeds:
          http://www.one-garden.org/Chinese/sweetann.htm

          Maybe you can find more sources by searching 'Artemisia annua'.

          Pat

          Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
          http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
        • Pat Meadows
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
            On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:12:14 -0000, you wrote:

            >I am going to volunteer on a project in Zambia, where malaria is rife.
            >I have read that the artemisia plant is extremely successful at keeping
            >malaria at bay. I am therefore trying to locate seeds for Artemisia, so
            >that I can plant them in the permaculture project in Zambia, and help
            >reduce the incidents of this disease.
            >I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

            PS (See my earlier message.)

            Nichols Garden Nursery has it too: http://tinyurl.com/gwddt