Re: butterfly orchid

  • Diana Shipton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
      Colarstar,
      I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about your flower.
      I just wanted to welcome you to the group.
      I so busy that I am mostly a "lurker", but I will chime in from time to time if I can help someone out or offer a welcome ... .
      Diana

      Diana's in Hubbard, Ohio
      http://www.Dianascraft-antiqueshop.4t.com

    • kengirar@telus.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
        Hi from the other side of the world, Calgary Canada. I grow many types of orchids
        but without the botanical name of your plant it is difficult to give any cultural
        advise.

        Common names in the orchid family are many, and they differ from country to country.
        Generally the common name 'Butterfly' orchid refers to the genus Oncidium which is a
        new world genus ranging from Mexico to Brazil. Due to the extremely diverse
        climatic regions these plants arise from the need for the botanical name is
        important as members of this genus range from the hottest most humid of jungles to
        sun scorched deserts and up to the cloud forests.

        Glad you are trying to grow one of the most fascinating group of plants, but then I
        love them all.

        Get back with the botanical name and I will be able to help you further. In case
        your plant is a hybrid send that name.

        Sincerely,

        Ken Girard