Re: [pfaf] new member (Yerba Mate)

  • sally neville
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 16, 2006
      Veronica, I'm not certain l. vulgaris is the same as l.siceraria, but seeds of l. siceraria are available from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co, Blossom Farm Perennials & Herbs, J.L. Hudson Seedsman, Onalee's Home-Grown Seeds & Plants. Seeds purchaseable from these companies' websites. I found this information on Daves Garden Website (http://davesgarden.com/ps/go/73599/). I hope this is useful to you. Sally (Neville)

      veronica giselle lescano <vg_lescano@...> wrote: Anna ,
      About lagenaria vulgaris, this is neither the seed nor the gourd, this is a plant in which the seed is stored to develope for a period of time until the plant gets matuare enough to be swon on land to complete its growing process ,
      I´m looking for information about where to obtain lagenaria vulgaris seeds, conditions of growing , or any work made with it.
      Once, the plant has grown , its leaves are used to prepare the drink or "mate ",
      through a process in which leaves a dried, etc untill to get a mixture made of a podwer , that is mixed with water inside a glass or recipient called gourd or "mate", this one can be made of wood mainly and other materials , but this is not a calabash although it look like one, I hope to have given a good description ,
      Regards
      Veronica

      Anna Fraser <anna.heh@...> escribió:
      I wonder if the plant Veronica mentioned and which was further identified by the wonderful Geir (Lagenaria vulgaris or L. siceraria, bottle gourd, Calebash gourd) is involved in the preparation of Yerba mate tea, because this tea is traditionally prepared in a gourd. I seem to remember having heard that the word 'mate' may mean ' gourd', but am not sure of that as I don't speak Spanish or Portugese. I'm just guessing but I wonder if Yerba Mate actually means "Gourd Herb"? Maybe our South American friends can tell us?
      First the leaves are dried, toasted (to release the natural enzymes) and crushed. They are then put in a gourd (L. vulgaris?) and a little cold water is added to wet the leaves. This protects the nutrients and flavour somewhat, rather then pouring hot water on it straight away. Next hot water is added to cover the leaves completely. You don't drink straight from the gourd, but through a straw, called a 'bombadilla', which has some some sort of strainer-type thing at the bottom. There are many traditional rules for the drinking of Yerba Mate. The one who makes the tea drinks the gourd empty first. This is supposed to be doing the others a favour as the taste can be quite strong, since the gourd may be filled for about 50-75% with leaves. Hot water is added again and the gourd is passed on to the next person. Again, all the liquid is drunk until the straw makes a gurgling sound, as many consider it rude to leave liquid in the bottom. More hot water is added and the next
      person drinks, and so on until there is no taste left and also all the medicinal qualities of the leaves will have been extracted.
      There seem to be several other rules as well, for example, you must never stir the tea and leaves in the gourd with the bombadilla.
      The whole traditional Yerba Mate procedure has been compared with other social rituals in other parts of the world, such as smoking the peace pipe or the Japanese tea ceremony.

      Our European Holly (Ilex aquifolium) is a close relative of Yerba Mate (Ilex paraguayensis) and has also been widely used to make a medicinal tea. The people of the Black Forest in Germany used Holly formerly as their most common beverage, just like we drink Indian tea these days.

      Anna Fraser (Hummingtree)
      www.the-tree.org.uk

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 16, 2006
        Forget to add the link that gives information on how to prepare the gourd:
        http://www.thebestyerbamate.com/prep.html

        Anna Fraser

      • caribe704
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 16, 2006
          theres a Brazillian store on 441 and Atlantic next to the Harbor
          Frieght store you can get CHEAP bulk Yerba Mate,infusers gourd, the
          whole mess CHEAP I go the all the time!!!