RE: [pfaf] Re: change of e-mail...VIRUS ALERT

  • ingrid glass
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14, 2006

      This one too is a virus.

      From: "user" <user@...>
      To: <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [pfaf] Re: change of e-mail
      Date: 13 Aug 2006 07:54:23 -0700

      DSC-00465.jpg

      DSC-00466.jpg

      DSC-00467.jpg

      << Attachments00.HQX >>

    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 14, 2006
        Thanks for the heads up. Not quite sure how it happened, but I've now
        set things up so posts from either of these members are always
        moderated, so you should not see any more spam or virus from them.
        Both members are long term members who have not posted viruses before,
        so I'm not sure what has happen.

        Rich
      • Shirley
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2006
          Hi Rich

          I guess that my post is now being moderated (as a moderator on several groups myself I see that this is a necessary precaution) but I'm not sure that the fault lies with us... I don't know how... but I've not received any viruses from anything other than pfaf and haven't (appeared) to send any viruses onto any of the other yahoo groups or any other people on my mailing list.

          It's very odd indeed.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2006
            On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:52:25 -0000, you wrote:

            >Thanks for the heads up. Not quite sure how it happened, but I've now
            >set things up so posts from either of these members are always
            >moderated, so you should not see any more spam or virus from them.
            >Both members are long term members who have not posted viruses before,
            >so I'm not sure what has happen.

            Most probably the viruses have gone out without their knowledge.

            The best thing to do, safest, is to change the Yahoogroups setting so that
            it will strip all attachments from messages. Those list members who want
            to show photos can upload them to the list's photos section on Yahoogroups.

            Pat
            Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
            http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2006
              Well I guess it is not odd at all,
              as some viruses, just pck up your adress and uses it,
              so
              it might have been sent from quite another "person" / address book, just putting in your email as "sender"..

              Geir Flatabø

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 14, 2006
                On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:28:08 +0200, you wrote:

                >Well I guess it is not odd at all,
                >as some viruses, just pck up your adress and uses it,
                >so
                >it might have been sent from quite another "person" / address book, just
                >putting in your email as "sender"..

                This is right, of course - I forgot this.

                Pat
                Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
                http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
              • Griselda
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 14, 2006
                  Re: [pfaf] Re: change of e-mail...VIRUS ALERT I think the idea of stripping out all attachments is the only way...people can leave links or other guidance for references they want to make. These viruses and spams are totally overwhelming sometimes, pharmacies, investment recommendations, all this rubbish. It’s so time-consuming and fiendishly clever...as someone says, they can just appropriate your email address and use it as the apparent sender so it can lead to  you being blacklisted.  Anything we can do to reduce the risk is fine by me.  Thanks so much for all the postings, btw. A great community. Griselda

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 14, 2006
                    Geir Flatabø wrote:

                    > Well I guess it is not odd at all,
                    > as some viruses, just pick up your address and uses it,

                    This is what I think is the case. Indeed I have to moderate my own posts
                    as my email address has been used by spammers.

                    As of now attachments are being removed. If people want to upload a
                    picture or file they can use the files or photos section of the yahoo
                    group and post a message about it.

                    Rich

                    --
                    Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants