Re: [pfaf] New book Growing Green

  • von-fi@elonmerkki.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
      Hmm...

      This Growing Green seems to be hard to get through October books, since we've
      been trying to mail order copies since early june without success... Well, who
      would have time to sit in a bookstore during the season so maybe in October.

      Very much thanks for the Jeavons and Ecology Action info, Pat.

      There seems to exist a book in finnish written in the year 1928 about stockfree
      biointensive gardening by Toivo Uuskallio, who wrote a book about "alive
      nutrition" the same year explaining that we should eat fresh and dried
      uncooked vegetables (we have a long winter), fruits and berries, nuts
      (especially pine nuts from pinus cembra sibirica), legumes and sprouted grain.
      The book "Maatalouspulma", which means "Agricultural problem" is a
      compilation of his research experiments on stockfree gardening, promoting small
      scale vegetable gardens with huge organic input rather than field scale
      agriculture. However, I have not yet reached a copy, but these seem to be
      still available occasionally and sounds pretty vegan organic. Toivo
      Uuskallio also wrote book "Ravitsemuspulma" which means "Nutritional
      problem" in 1930 just before moving to Brazil and this is a descrpition of
      social reform necessary on the food production.

      thanks a lot,

      ossi

      On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 08:39:57AM -0400, Pat Meadows wrote:
      > On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:32:12 +0100, you wrote:
      >
      > >I've just read about a new book with a vegan organic focus.
      > >
      > >Growing Green - Organic techniques for a sustainable future
      > >Jenny Hall and Iain Tolhurst
      > >
      > >This is the Vegan Organic Network's long-awaited book on stock-free
      > >organic growing. It's the first of it's kind in the world, and is a very
      > >important book to veganism.
      >
      > But not the first of its kind in the world.
      >
      > Read John Jeavons 'How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries,
      > Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than
      > You Can Imagine,' first published in 1974. I own this book and I'm very
      > familiar with it, and I can assure you that it's *precisely* about
      > stock-free, sustainable, organic growing. Very detailed too. It's a
      > classic and has had many editions, and sold many copies.
      >
      > Jeavons' organization, Ecology Action, has done a great deal of research on
      > sustainable, stock-free, organic growing and published a lot about their
      > research.
      >
      > See: http://www.ecologyaction.org and
      >
      > (for the books and research papers) http://www.bountifulgardens.org
      >
      > Some of the research papers are very detailed; and include the results of
      > research on growing 'compost crops' to maintain soil fertility and assure
      > sustainability within one's own land.
      >
      > The book you mention is probably great too, but Jeavons' work should
      > certainly not be overlooked by anyone interested in this subject.
      >
      > Pat
      > --
      > In the Appalachian Mountains in northern Pennsylvania
      > Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
      > http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/

    • bob knab
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
        bob -here
        this site is intensive you may already know
        of it but am going to post 4 those
        who may not-lots of herbals-
        thanks -------------------------------------

        This Growing Green seems to be hard to get through October books, since we've
        been trying to mail order copies since early june without success... Well, who
        would have time to sit in a bookstore during the season so maybe in October.
        <snip>
        Very much thanks for the Jeavons and Ecology Action info,

        > Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
        > http://www.entire- of-itself. blogspot. com/
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
        Checked by AVG Free Edition.