New book Growing Green

  • Rich Morris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
      I've just read about a new book with a vegan organic focus.

      Growing Green - Organic techniques for a sustainable future
      Jenny Hall and Iain Tolhurst

      This is the Vegan Organic Network's long-awaited book on stock-free
      organic growing. It's the first of it's kind in the world, and is a very
      important book to veganism.

      Details can be found at
      http://www.sowandgroworganics.co.uk/index.php?pageID=8
      and its available from
      October books http://octoberbooks.org/veg/

      Rich
      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
        On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:32:12 +0100, you wrote:

        >I've just read about a new book with a vegan organic focus.
        >
        >Growing Green - Organic techniques for a sustainable future
        >Jenny Hall and Iain Tolhurst
        >
        >This is the Vegan Organic Network's long-awaited book on stock-free
        >organic growing. It's the first of it's kind in the world, and is a very
        >important book to veganism.

        But not the first of its kind in the world.

        Read John Jeavons 'How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries,
        Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than
        You Can Imagine,' first published in 1974. I own this book and I'm very
        familiar with it, and I can assure you that it's *precisely* about
        stock-free, sustainable, organic growing. Very detailed too. It's a
        classic and has had many editions, and sold many copies.

        Jeavons' organization, Ecology Action, has done a great deal of research on
        sustainable, stock-free, organic growing and published a lot about their
        research.

        See: http://www.ecologyaction.org and

        (for the books and research papers) http://www.bountifulgardens.org

        Some of the research papers are very detailed; and include the results of
        research on growing 'compost crops' to maintain soil fertility and assure
        sustainability within one's own land.

        The book you mention is probably great too, but Jeavons' work should
        certainly not be overlooked by anyone interested in this subject.

        Pat
        Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
        http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
      • von-fi@elonmerkki.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
          Hmm...

          This Growing Green seems to be hard to get through October books, since we've
          been trying to mail order copies since early june without success... Well, who
          would have time to sit in a bookstore during the season so maybe in October.

          Very much thanks for the Jeavons and Ecology Action info, Pat.

          There seems to exist a book in finnish written in the year 1928 about stockfree
          biointensive gardening by Toivo Uuskallio, who wrote a book about "alive
          nutrition" the same year explaining that we should eat fresh and dried
          uncooked vegetables (we have a long winter), fruits and berries, nuts
          (especially pine nuts from pinus cembra sibirica), legumes and sprouted grain.
          The book "Maatalouspulma", which means "Agricultural problem" is a
          compilation of his research experiments on stockfree gardening, promoting small
          scale vegetable gardens with huge organic input rather than field scale
          agriculture. However, I have not yet reached a copy, but these seem to be
          still available occasionally and sounds pretty vegan organic. Toivo
          Uuskallio also wrote book "Ravitsemuspulma" which means "Nutritional
          problem" in 1930 just before moving to Brazil and this is a descrpition of
          social reform necessary on the food production.

          thanks a lot,

          ossi

          On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 08:39:57AM -0400, Pat Meadows wrote:
          > On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:32:12 +0100, you wrote:
          >
          > >I've just read about a new book with a vegan organic focus.
          > >
          > >Growing Green - Organic techniques for a sustainable future
          > >Jenny Hall and Iain Tolhurst
          > >
          > >This is the Vegan Organic Network's long-awaited book on stock-free
          > >organic growing. It's the first of it's kind in the world, and is a very
          > >important book to veganism.
          >
          > But not the first of its kind in the world.
          >
          > Read John Jeavons 'How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries,
          > Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than
          > You Can Imagine,' first published in 1974. I own this book and I'm very
          > familiar with it, and I can assure you that it's *precisely* about
          > stock-free, sustainable, organic growing. Very detailed too. It's a
          > classic and has had many editions, and sold many copies.
          >
          > Jeavons' organization, Ecology Action, has done a great deal of research on
          > sustainable, stock-free, organic growing and published a lot about their
          > research.
          >
          > See: http://www.ecologyaction.org and
          >
          > (for the books and research papers) http://www.bountifulgardens.org
          >
          > Some of the research papers are very detailed; and include the results of
          > research on growing 'compost crops' to maintain soil fertility and assure
          > sustainability within one's own land.
          >
          > The book you mention is probably great too, but Jeavons' work should
          > certainly not be overlooked by anyone interested in this subject.
          >
          > Pat
          > --
          > In the Appalachian Mountains in northern Pennsylvania
          > Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
          > http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/

        • bob knab
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
            bob -here
            this site is intensive you may already know
            of it but am going to post 4 those
            who may not-lots of herbals-
            thanks -------------------------------------

            This Growing Green seems to be hard to get through October books, since we've
            been trying to mail order copies since early june without success... Well, who
            would have time to sit in a bookstore during the season so maybe in October.
            <snip>
            Very much thanks for the Jeavons and Ecology Action info,

            > Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
            > http://www.entire- of-itself. blogspot. com/
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • Shirley
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2006
              That is a fantastic link... thanks Bob!!