Re: [pfaf] Re: Welcome to pfaf

  • von-fi@elonmerkki.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2006
      Hello O'Seun.

      Garlic (Allium sativum) has been used traditionally in China at least 3000
      years to treat tuberculosis. Garlic clove as a whole has amino acid called
      allin, which gets after garlic is crushed transformed trhough entsymal
      activity (allinace) to allicin. Allicin and ajoen, which is based on allicin
      are described antibacterial and antifungal natural antibiotics to be
      antagonist also for Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Allicin content is highest
      in fresh garlic or dried garlic powder, but stays relatively good in oil
      filled with chopped garlic. After a day allicin breaks down to other
      sulphurous compounds.

      When tuberculosis was a problem in Finland in early 20th century (during the
      industrialization), the most effective results in treatments came from
      natural health movement of that era, especially practicing raw
      vegetarian/vegan nutrition and water-therapy introduced by Louis Kuhne and
      19th century herbalist priest Sebastian Kneipp. Therefore it may be that
      forest garden diet as described by Robert Hart functions even better treating
      TB than any special medicine ?

      It might be good also idea to check out traditional indonesian tempeh
      fermentation process with Rhizopus molds. These are incubated usually in
      soybeans, but more interestingly also in winged beans (Psophocarpus
      tetragonolobus) and velvet beans (Mucuna puriens). West Javanese Onchom
      is also fermented food from groundnuts or their presscakes with help of
      Neurospora molds and can also be useful.

      hope this helps to find some references ...

      ossi.

      On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:37:51AM +0100, Egghead wrote:
      > *Dear PFAF Members,*
      >
      > * *
      >
      > *Top of the day to you all and hoping that the various works is pushing on
      > smoothly?*
      >
      > * *
      >
      > have been effective in treatment of TB viz: isoniazid (INH), Pyrazinamide
      > (PZA), Rifampin (RIF), and Steptomycin / Ethambutol.*
      >
      > * *
      >

      > *Please note that any other information relevant to the project work will be
      > duly acknowledged and heartily appreciated. I am still open to accept
      > suggestions on names of more herbs/plants used in treatment of TB.*
      >
      > * *
      >

      > *O'Seun Odewale*
    • herbaid
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2006
        Dear O'Seun
        Tuberculosis in the UK is a notifiable disease and under the Pharmacy and Medicines Act 1941 is one of a number of diseases for which advertisement, written or oral, claiming remedies may not be made. So it is not treated by professional herbalists here, and does need a cocktailof drugs taken long term for effective treatment. However some herbs have had historical use such as Inula helenium, or Elecampane. But you say local herbs? In the book  Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine by Thomas Bartram, 1995, there is a reference to the use of Umckaloabo or Rhatany root, Krameria triandra, a root being used with some success. More details of the history of this at http://www.pharmj.com/pdf/xmas2005/pj_20051224_umckaloabo.pdf#search='umckaloabo'
         However I could not find this in the Plants for  a Future database, and elsewhere this remedy is listed as Pelargonium sidoides, the South African Geranium, with some research supporting its use in respiratory infections e.g at http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/eccmid14/abstract.asp?id=15766

        Might also be worth contacting Kew Gardens at http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/ and also checking out the World Health Organisation.
        Best wishes
        Anne

        Anne Stobart, MNIMH