new on list

  • bob knab
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2006
      hi - bob here in tenessee

      i have some large what i come
      to find out are Dature plants
      growing arround with large
      white and some plants have
      purple flowers on them so i joined
      this list to find how the plants could
      be useful my friend tried smoking
      the leaves but got a bad headace
      i was told thay were poisonous-
      thanks - mebob
    • von-fi@elonmerkki.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2006
        Hey bob, where you're gonna go with that plant in your hand?

        Daturas are EXTREMELY poisonous. Maybe datura has most of use as a
        repellent in garden, protecting surrounding plants from insects?

        I once smoked it's seeds to be able to have a lecture even though I had
        terrible fevery cough. Strangely it helped for an hour or hour and a half,
        since I could speak without coughing at all. However, that didn't heal the
        cough as it came back as soon as the cooling effect vanished. I was also
        unkowingly smoking the leaves mixed with juniper branches and a few other
        herbs while visiting famous healer and herbal experimenter Vigala Sass at
        Estonian Saarenmaa, but he's dead now. The effect was then somehow
        aphrodisiac and I had visual disorders for several days, which were more of
        blurry confusion than clear vision. I wouldn't surely have inhaled that
        incence if I'd asked beforehand what it consisted of.

        Scandinavian folk medicine found it useful in treating epileptic disorders.
        During the medication bandages dipped in cold vinegar were tied on the head
        of the patient, who were living in fresh air. If the blood was "raising up
        to one's head" it was necessary to apply venesection. The plant disuse can
        stop the circulation of blood or heart so PLEASE DON'T FOOL AROUND with it.
        However, ancient greeks used to brew wine mainly with datura, but that's
        also a time of rising axial age civilizations with industrial mass
        production of iron tools for destruction of the environment and leaving
        behind the tribal spiritual practices replaced with an individual spiritual
        journey with no relation to the natural environment and it's cycles thus
        useful for the domination of the people pushed away from the context of life
        into tidal wave of modern urbanization. Therefore to me the datura
        consumption seems to have not proven much of use in resisting the ongoing
        anthropocentric destruction or setting up healthy forest gardens as there
        are many other ways of reconnecting to the web of life on Earth. However
        there's a space for every plant...

        There's good info about datura in Plants for a future database.

        For interest, check also:
        http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/kings/datura.html

        take care,
        ossi

        On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:49:04PM -0000, bob knab wrote:
        > hi - bob here in tenessee
        >
        > i have some large what i come
        > to find out are Dature plants
        > growing arround with large
        > white and some plants have
        > purple flowers on them so i joined
        > this list to find how the plants could
        > be useful my friend tried smoking
        > the leaves but got a bad headace
        > i was told thay were poisonous-
        > thanks - mebob

      • Griselda
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2006
          Re: [pfaf] new on list These plants are extremely poisonous in all parts...leaves, flowers, fruits, bark and roots. When sold in the UK they have warning labels.
          Griselda

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
            i am thinking of sending one to Washington to spice things up i am now told that it is good for headaches i think they are going to have a big one when the antiwar thing gets cranked up - mebob
            Hey bob, where you're gonna go with that plant in your hand?

            Daturas are EXTREMELY poisonous. Maybe datura has most of use as a
            repellent in garden, protecting surrounding plants from insects?

            I once smoked it's seeds to be able to have a lecture even though I had
            terrible fevery cough. Strangely it helped for an hour or hour and a half,
            since I could speak without coughing at all. However, that didn't heal the
            cough as it came back as soon as the cooling effect vanished. I was also
            unkowingly smoking the leaves mixed with juniper branches and a few other
            herbs while visiting famous healer and herbal experimenter Vigala Sass at
            Estonian Saarenmaa, but he's dead now. The effect was then somehow
            aphrodisiac and I had visual disorders for several days, which were more of
            blurry confusion than clear vision. I wouldn't surely have inhaled that
            incence if I'd asked beforehand what it consisted of.

            Scandinavian folk medicine found it useful in treating epileptic disorders.
            During the medication bandages dipped in cold vinegar were tied on the head
            of the patient, who were living in fresh air. If the blood was "raising up
            to one's head" it was necessary to apply venesection. The plant disuse can
            stop the circulation of blood or heart so PLEASE DON'T FOOL AROUND with it.
            However, ancient greeks used to brew wine mainly with datura, but that's
            also a time of rising axial age civilizations with industrial mass
            production of iron tools for destruction of the environment and leaving
            behind the tribal spiritual practices replaced with an individual spiritual
            journey with no relation to the natural environment and it's cycles thus
            useful for the domination of the people pushed away from the context of life
            into tidal wave of modern urbanization. Therefore to me the datura
            consumption seems to have not proven much of use in resisting the ongoing
            anthropocentric destruction or setting up healthy forest gardens as there
            are many other ways of reconnecting to the web of life on Earth. However
            there's a space for every plant...

            There's good info about datura in Plants for a future database.

            For interest, check also:
            http://www.henriett esherbal. com/eclectic/ kings/datura. html

            take care,
            ossi

            On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:49:04PM -0000, bob knab wrote:
            > hi - bob here in tenessee
            >
            > i have some large what i come
            > to find out are Dature plants
            > growing arround with large